Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Measuring small on the fundal height growth chart

So I just had my 28 week appointment and was told that I'm measuring small in the 3rd percentile. I wasn't worried about my growth before this but now am. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• Hi, 
    I'm not sure what percentile mine is, I know that it was 27cm. What was your measurement?
  • It was 25
  • Ok, I've had a look at my chart and the midwife put a cross that makes it look like it is over 10%. I'm not sure though, I will ask her when I go next time. 
    She told me that if she was concerned I would have growth scans, if they didn't tell you you'd have one u would imagine everything is fine. 
    Sorry I am not being very helpful! Hopefully someone who knows more about it will reply. Try not to worry x

• My bumps measured small for both my pregnancies and I had 2 perfectly healthy babies ☺️

• This was my 26 week bump with my daughter. My son was born at 37 weeks 1 day and was 6lbs 11oz and my daughter was born at 38.5 weeks and was 6lbs 13oz, so I wouldn’t worry much about fundal height being a little off
  • dd1001dd1001 Regular
    edited Jul 11, 2020 6:10PM
    I have been measuring small throughout my pregnancy not sure where you are but in uk they have been giving my extra scans and reassured me that baby is healthy .
    fundal height is a mere guide and not really an accurate representation of the size of your baby
  • Yes I’ve been told to have an extra Growth scan, is this common? Worried that something Is wrong but my tummy is defiantly getting bigger and movement increasing etc 
  • @Eve2020 yes that is totally normal I’ve been having scans every 2-4 weeks since week 28 and I always find my baby measures better than what the fundal height measurements indicate. 
    As long as your movements are normal I’m sure everything Is fine.
    the main thing they tell me is too keep an eye on the baby movements 😊
  • Are you tall? I’m tall and my bump was practically non existent till week 30 x
  • I had this issue throughout my pregnancy. And they got me worried!! I was 33cm when I was 37weeks. And I was sent for growth scan. And when I had it then radiologist said everything is fine and little one is around 3kg. Size of the stomach doesnt determine how big baby is. These measurements are not accurate. I was so worries and it turned out I was worried for nothing. Today I'm 40+6 and my belly was measured 37cm in the beginning of the week but midwife said it's perfectly fine now as I have shoot up. Dont worry you will be fine midwives like to scare us and make things up.
  • Eve2020 said:
    Yes I’ve been told to have an extra Growth scan, is this common? Worried that something Is wrong but my tummy is defiantly getting bigger and movement increasing etc 
    Dont worry about it. You will feel great once you have that reassurance from the scan. All the time I been told my measurements are whether too big whether too small... it's so annoying! Just relax, because it's not possible to know if baby is big or small but the size of the bump. I have had major weight loss in the past and my abdominal muscles are stretched this is why my bump doesnt show that much. People still dont believe me I'm overdue right now. They think I'm around 30 weeks or so...
  • Thank you that's so reassuring. I'm 5'5 but a small build and pretty slim so I wasn't carrying much weight before. Fingers crossed for the scan, I wasn't worried at all before but the minute people start saying that you look small and the midwife does etc you can't not worry! x
  • @Eve2020 yes I’m sure you’re baby will go up on growth chart - mine went from under the 3rd to 25th based on scan measurements and they are definitely more accurate.
    midwife said the same to me but people just carry different try not to worry.