Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I’m pregnant what’s next?

Hello I was hoping to get some advice! I just found out I’m pregnant with my first child and I am just over the moon happy. I have never been pregnant before so I am looking for any advice I may need or information. I obviously know I need to see the doctor (on hold trying to get the appointment) but I was wondering if there’s anything else we need to be doing at this time? I used an app the predict how far along I am and it’s saying I’m most likely 6weeks pregnant. I also did not find out I was pregnant until my period was 2 weeks late because I got negatives up until the 14th day of my missed period, so I feel as if I’m finding out a little later than most people do. Thank you in advance I really appreciate it! 

Replies

• congratulations! in our area the doctors just give you a number for the midwives and then you self refer to them, but I think everywhere is different. Are you in the UK? If so you'll have your first appointment with the midwife at around 8-10 weeks, they'll take a blood and urine test and give you a big book of your notes and take you through everything and what to expect :)
  • I would start taking folic acid and a lot of witamin D !! It’s good for you and the baby especially xx good luck 
  • Congratulations! It sounds like you ovulated later in your cycle, hence why you didn't get your positive until a fortnight after af was due.

If you're in the UK you should be able to self refer to the midwives and cut out the doctor if you want to. 

Everything @Beni96 said about the vitamins. Also reduce stress if you can, do gentle exercise and eat healthily 😊 x
  • I also found out I was pregnant last week - contacted my dr who said he would refer me. I was hoping to have heard from the midwife this week, but so far I haven’t. 
    Does anyone know how long it takes normally. The Dr wasn’t all that helpful and just said a while..
  • Hi @JustSomeGirl. Congratulations on your pregnancy!

If you're in the UK you won't see the midwives until you're 8 weeks pregnant. They may contact you once you're about 6 weeks to arrange the booking in appointment via text or letter. You can go on the NHS website and self refer, and I don't about all areas, but mine has a Facebook midwife messaging service. X
  • Hi @HippieMama4!
    thanks so much for replying! 

I am just past 7 weeks now, and no news. I went online today and did the self referral, so hopefully I hear soon. I did message the local midwife u it and they said to do the referral as well as the dr referral and I will be seen before I’m 12 weeks, not 10 like I thought.
    hopefully I hear soon! 
  • Ah, that's great news that you heard back from them and that you know you'll be seen before 12 weeks. It's a shame it's not before 10 weeks, but not long to go for you now. We found out early, and I had a slightly longer cycle than normal, so even though we got the first bfp 12 days ago I'm only 5 weeks exactly today. The time is really dragging on! X
  • Congratulations! It was similar for me too, I have an irregular cycle, and we found out at 5 weeks. 
    Its my first and not planned, so all a lot to get used to! It really is a bit of a rollercoaster so far, but just like you time is dragging and I just want to make sure everything is okay
  • emicc said:
    Hello I was hoping to get some advice! I just found out I’m pregnant with my first child and I am just over the moon happy. I have never been pregnant before so I am looking for any advice I may need or information. I obviously know I need to see the doctor (on hold trying to get the appointment) but I was wondering if there’s anything else we need to be doing at this time? I used an app the predict how far along I am and it’s saying I’m most likely 6weeks pregnant. I also did not find out I was pregnant until my period was 2 weeks late because I got negatives up until the 14th day of my missed period, so I feel as if I’m finding out a little later than most people do. Thank you in advance I really appreciate it! 
    Hi,

saw your post that you was 2 weeks late on your period before you got a positive.. so happy to see this can happen!! I am on day 6 with no period and 2 negatives. we have been trying for nearly 2 years now... but I don't want to get my hopes up just yet. but I am praying we are !!!

Did you have symptoms even tho the test said negative? I just don't feel right in myself but it could be all in my head.... 
  • Congratulations on your pregnancy! 
    We have some lovely birth clubs you can join if you fancy? Basically, pick the month you are due and you can meet other women in there too. Here they are :-)