Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Low PAPP-A? Please read!

If anyone has experienced this or knows someone who has can you please let me know?

I am currently 16 weeks and I've received a letter saying my blood test has shown I have low PAPP-A. I had never heard of this before but after reading the leaflet (which doesn't have a lot of information) and googling into it I am starting to panic. If you have any information or experience at all (good or bad) please reply!

I have an appointment booked with my midwife in 2 days time but I'm wondering if anyone can give me their own personal experience on how their pregnancy went. 

This is baby number 2 for me and I never experienced anything like this with my first pregnancy. 

Thanks so much for taking your time to read and especially if you can share anything!

Replies

• @B.leif I also had results of Low Papp-A for my pregnancy back in 2018 which I also think was the reason that we came out with a high risk (1:82) of down syndrome (we had the harmony test that ruled that out) we had regular growth scans which were always fine and we went on to have a healthy baby girl.
    She did come early at 36+2 but was a healthy weight of 5lb15oz and didnt need any medical assistance. I had the steroid injections in the pregnancy to help the lungs if she was born early so everything was great.
    It was never discussed why she did come early and whether it was due to low Papp-A or the fact I only have half of my uterus but everything was great.
    When I got the low Papp-A result I searched and searched on the internet so I hope my experience is some reassurance for you!
  • @MrsD90 Thank you so much for sharing your experience and I’m so happy to hear about your healthy baby girl 💕

I’ve got an uterine artery Doppler scan around 22-24 weeks which should give us an idea of where to go from there so just hoping for the best for now! 

If you don’t mind me asking did you take aspirin? All the stories I’ve read, most of the ladies have been told to take aspirin and I completely forgot to ask my midwife about it. So just wondering if you did. 
  • @B.leif Nope, never or took any aspirin, nobody ever mentioned anything about it. 
  • Hi there , my 2018 pregnancy also showed low Papp-a . It gave me higher risk for Down syndrome so I had to do harmony which was negative. Because of the low Papp-a they said I would have regular growth scans as it could cause the placenta to fail. I had absolutely no issues and went on to have a healthy baby ! Don’t worry too much . My midwife even said it could have just been the blood draw on that day at that time . They don’t do re-do’s though which is annoying . Mine was really low by the way ! 
  • @chelseakitty Thank you so much for sharing! And I’m so glad to hear about your healthy baby and that it didn’t impact your pregnancy. That makes me feel better that it could just be from that blood test too 💕