Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Slapped cheek virus causing total phycotic reaction HELP!!

My daughter who is nearly 4 has been really poorly this week following a spate of colds she had temp of 40 which we couldnt bring down followed by vomoting and rash whiches comes and goes. GP diagnosed slap cheek then sent us to ped unit for more test incase it was Kawasaki disiease thankfully they ruled it out.

However the rash on her body is causing her to totally loose it worse then any tantrum could ever be she tears at her skin and pulls her hair out in from the roots she even swears which is totally out of charactor. she trashes her bedroom and will hurt me anyway she can. she says she cant breathe and is in a atotal panick and has totally lost control. emazingly i am able to stay calm with her and try to bringher out of it. god knows what the neighburs think.. nobody can communitcate with her she screams we are not to talk as she is talking!!
She is refusing all medication without a good 2hrs of negotiating and after the episode of screaming has lasted 45 minutes min.
we are using piriton to help the rash which is working but every 6 hrs she has one of these please help im at the end of my teather.:\?

Replies

• Hi, didnt want to read and run, all I can suggest is could you maybe time the medication so it is given before the last lot runs out and causes one of these episodes? I completely sympathise with both you and your daughter, 3 of my children had this last year, the oldest one being worst affected, I caught it from them and I was ill for weeks, my joints swelled up and were so painful that I couldnt grip anything and I could barely walk as my knees were so bad, I had to go to a and e to have my rings cut off as my fingers had swollen so badly and have wrist splints becuase the pain was so much, when the rash came out, the burning pain and itching from it is indescribable, it really is like having a major case of sunburn and prickly heat all rolled into one.
    Really hope she feels better soon xx
  • hi hayley

thanks so much for describing what the rash actually feels like> painful!!
    i think with all thats gone on this week i wasnt thinking clearly and realised i needed to leave less gap in between doses. she hasnt been very keen to take any med its been a total battle all the way.
    but tonight we found some calamine and she has plastered herself in it. do you know if the rash can also affect the body as well as face eg. back, arms legs tummy chest?? and rash seems to come and go on face and body doc says no it is only on face but she is covered from head to toe. rash lasts about 12 hours in each area then swelling and redness goes but then is really dry but still itchy. she has had c/pox and all vaccinations to date.:roll:

thanks again

nikki
  • I don't know if it exists in England but here is Australia we have a product called Pinotarsil its yellow and you put it in the bath. I suffered from terrible rashes as a child due to eczema and also when I had chicken pox my mum used this and it is very soothing for the skin and may atleast help reduce the amount of times she flips her lid over the rash. If you get really sick of it throw her in the car and take her to your doctor mid tanty and let them deal with it there they may take you more seriously and look further into why the rash is all over the body.
  • Yes the rash can affect the whole body. Megan who is 9 had it all over and so did I, Isaac had it on his face arms and legs and Alice just on her face, it does come and go again too, when it goes you feel fairly normal but as soon as it starts to come back the itching and the burning starts. I sympathise with you about the meds my oldest was never keen on taking meds and used to spit them out, sooo frustrating.
  • thanks you ladies it does make you stronger with the advice here.
    i like the idea of sticking her in the car and letting docs deal with episode.
    we had more scratching in the night but she didnt react with screaming fit. still lokks lousy today but us now eating more. rash seems very dry now and it seems its that causing the itching i will have a look in phamacy for and emollient bath oil.
    thank you both so much.

nikki
  • aveeno cream is fab becuase it is so moisturising, If the rash is looking dry then I would think its in the final stages so hopeully she will be back to her usual self soon. My skin was dry for ages after though.
  • It sounds like a horrible thing to have. Although if my kids have it thanks to me being a very allergenic and just plain rashy person I already have heaps of creams and stuff around my house so if my kids ever get it I will already be pretty stocked up lol.

I feel sorry for you and your daughter because I get rashes all the time I know how itchy they are and its just not fair on a little tike I bet she wants to rip herself apart I know I do at times.