Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Confused about Nursery!!

right, my dd is 2 1/2 (3 in april), and i have a ds who is 6 mos. When my ds was newborn, the hv mentioned how dd will be going to nursery in january. I then got a new hv who doesnt ever seem to be around.

I rang the hv to see how i would go about getting dd into nursery, a woman who wasnt a hv, just an assistant said, ring up the nursery and just ask them. so thats what i did.

They said they would take her in january for 2 afternoons a week and that they would get back to me. i asked if i had to pay anything and they said no. Nobody seemed to pick up on the fact that she was 'early' at this point.

I had a phonecall off them just before xmas, and then it was picked up on that she was early. They said they do take some 2 year olds but not often. I asked what the reasons were they take them early and they said that sometimes its to help mum out or for some specific reason. I said how i wanted DD to go becuase she has slow speech development, and she doesnt get too much interaction with other kids her age. They still said she could go 2 afternoons a week.

Now, no one has mentioned anything about paying anything, but from what i can find oinline, some people do, some people dont, and im just so confused!! We went for a taster day last week and she loved it, this afternoon is supposed to be her first hour alone.

Another thing that is puzzling me is, a friend, whos dd is similar age, has started nursery, but a different one, so that mum can go to work, and she is paying.

I dont want to be landed with a massive bill i cant afford because people have forgotten to tell me stuff.

and i feel really stupid asking the teachers now x

Replies

• Sorry, but I really think you need to speak to the nursery manager as I would imagine it's decided on a case-by-case basis.

Hope you get the response you want.

Liz x
  • not sure I can help. In my area the term after the child is 3 you are eligible for 15 hours free, used at nursery schools, private nurserys and child minders. Before then there are playgroups that run and there is a small charge. The ones I know of charge from ??4 a session to ??9.

Hope you find out the info you need. Good luck.

xxx
  • My DD started a private playgroup at 2yrs 1m and i had to pay ??5 per morning she went 3days a week. No one suggested I put her into school I chose to do it because she didnt have a huge deal of interaction with little people her own age. The only requirement they had was that she be completely potty trained which she was at 19mnths. She still goes too a playgroup 2 mornings a wk now an will do until she starts school in September as there is not school nursey for the school i wish to send her too.

It was the best choice i made though because she has come along leaps and bounds. She's such a cleaver little thing and suprises me loads sometimes. Best thing to do is too see whether ur prefered primary school has a nursery aswell to see when they have intakes then you can decide on where you will send your LO beforehand image
  • Yes you need to speak to the nursery manager. My son went to private daycare when I went back to work and I paid but last year when he was two we were entitled to funding for 10 hours because he has additional needs but this was something that the last government were thinking of introducing and our nursery was involved in the trial so not sure if it is still available.