Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

nursery procedures/anyone?

at my son's nursery they do outings to shops,park ect. they all go, 16 kids to four adults. does this seem safe? i expressed to her that it seemed alot of kids to watch when out, escpecially some that are 2 yrs old, they age is from 2-5 year olds. she said they always hold 2 years old by both hands. an adult takes the lead with the first two, one adult at the rear and 2 adults in the middle keeping everyone in line. does this sound ok? they have a policy on what happen in event of a child going missing, this cared the crap out of me! but then said they have 100% safety record. i can object to him going out of course but i think it may mean changing nursery, as as i say they all go togther. am i overworrying here?

Replies

• if they are over 2 then the ratio is legally one staff to 4 children so they are well within their rights and this doesn't differ from in the nursery to outdoor trips. However if they are having an outing a risk assessment MUST be carried out so you could ask to see it!!

Do they wear anything with nursery name on it?? With ds they have very large stickers that are stuck on the back of their coats "this child belongs to...."

Its a difficult one, I have never stopped my ds going on nursery / pre school outings as I don't want him to miss out but my god if anything happened to him i'd commit murder!!!

It gets worse as they get older as the ratio for 5+ is 1 teacher to 13 children!!! You'd need eyes in the back of your head!!! :lol: