Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

3 year old wetting herself!

Hi, I'm after some advice if anyone can help! My 3 yr old step-daughter has been out of nappies for a year, she had one accident but has been dry ever since, even at night.

Over the last month or so she has randomly just started weeing herself, she even pooed herself once. She just says "it's just an accident!" Has anyone else had this issue, it's like she's going backwards all of a sudden after doing so brilliantly for a year!

Her speech development is also very slow. I have spent a lot of time with her with picture books to help her increase her vocab but that has slowed down too, she is reverting to baby talk and crying instead of just saying what she wants.

We think her mum has taken her out of pre-school, I have a feeling this is affecting her development.

xx

also posted in potty training!

Replies

• Hi there, there are many contributing factors to kids reverting back. My middle son was the same, everything ok but i the end we found he had a hearing problem and got grommets fitted, since then his overall development has increased but still the odd accident. I know its hard and annoying but it's really is a case of the bigger the deal you make of it the more they do it. Best of luck and remember deep breathes and plenty of tea! xx

• Thank you for your reply Karla! Glad to hear your son's development increased, that's great! We try not to make too much fuss as we know giving the matter too much attention will probably encourage her the wrong way, but it's sooo disheartening when she had done so well! I just want the best for her, as all parents do! The peeing has actually improved recently, she's always saying "me big girl, me not baby" so we've just been saying to her "big girls don't wet their knick knocks" (lol) and it seems to have had an effect. Just need to start working on her speaking now image xx

• My son is also 3 and seems to keep having accidents, we've just moved house so I'm hoping its just the stress of that, so I'm guessing that the disruption to your step-daughter's routine by leaving nursery may be the cause. I'm also doing like you and saying that he's a big boy and big boys don't wee their pants. I've also started reminding him again every so often, as I think sometimes he's so engrossed in what he's doing he forgets!

When he was 22 months old he was diagnosed with delayed speech. Thanks to the HV getting involved and a parentplus person, she taught us, and his nursery, different games for helping him and by the time he was 24 months he had greatly improved. Maybe worth a chat with your step-daughter's HV if possible. Has you spoken about this with her mother?

• Her mum is, erm, not very maternal. She just says the baby talk is cute and doesn't care about the accidents image Not ideal really. I have wondered about going to the doc with her and seeing if we can get some sort of help but I know her mum will be against it so we're in a bit of a pickle! Since I posted this originally we had about 6 weeks of no wetting but then she started wetting the bed at night arrgh! We're doing the "no drinks after 5pm" though that's easier said than done, we get her to wee before she goes to bed then when I go to bed I get her up for another wee. Feel awful waking her up, but if we don't do it she wets the bed! xx