Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers

What books does your 3-4 year old like?

I recently sorted out my little boy's bookcase, and now we have a bit more room for some more books.

So I was wondering what stories does your child like?

We have plenty of picture books, like Farmer Duck, We're going on a Bear Hunt, (we act this one out), and Owl Babies, but we also love sharing picture ebooks on my kindle and my phone - especially when we're out and about.

Our favourite picture ebooks are:

Hairy, Scary Spider? (He loves it when the spider tries to put on a scary face)

Who said Quack?

and Slippy the Slimy Slug! (Great picture and in rhyme)

Any recommendations for either traditional books or ebooks?

Replies

• My daughter loves the Mr Men/Little Miss books, and the very hungry caterpillar, she got another with a clock on where you can change the time which she always wants to play with - although it's not much of a story.

• My 4yr old also loves the little miss and Mr men books. We have some little tiger books with a cd he loves crunching munching caterpillar, shaggy dog, tiny tadpol, the very noisy night and fidgity fish. He also loves the gruffalo and what the ladybird heard. He is nearly 5 and due to start school. He loves early reading books he can have a go at himself like ladybird read it yourself and biff, chip and kipper phonic books. We could open a library we have so many books! Xxx
  • Right now, anything to do with fire engines. But also loves the Gruffalo, Gruffalo's child, Monkey Puzzle etc., as well as Hungry Caterpillar and Bear Hunt. One of his favourite was a cheap one I picked up from Asda, called Norman the slug with the silly shell (or something like that!), we've read it so many times! My parents also bought him a children's 1,000 words book, bit like an encyclopaedia, and it's amazing how much he reads it and looks at it, and I've found it really good when I need to explain things to him, like when I was having his younger brother - there's a page on family with brothers and sisters and babies. I've also found he's tried more foods because they were in his book. Am hoping to get him a few more factual books like this, e.g. an atlas, general knowledge, as he does seem to really enjoy them!