Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Has Anyone Got Experience With Reward Charts?

I've been toying with a few different ideas for how to try and encourage my 4 year old son to eat more fruit and vegetables. 

I have tried a more direct reward system before, like giving him a biscuit for pudding if he eats all his veg, but this has been very hit and miss and mainly depends on his mood. image

I was starting to get to the end of my tether but saw this reward chart online http://v8juice.co.uk/free-kids-reward-chart/ and I think I'm going to give it a go. I'm hoping that the promise of more than just a cookie and the visual nature of the chart will be a winning combination. 

I just wanted to know if anyone on here had much experience with using reward charts? If so, do you have any tips to share? Is there a particular type of reward you have found motivates well? 

Thanks in advance for all your help, I'm determined to get to 'enjoy' eating healthily! image

Replies

• Hi I use reward charts with my 5yo. Well I did I don't really need to now. I found it worked really well, she loved the idea of getting a star and id give her lots of praise and let her stick it on her self. If she was naughty or didn't do what she needed to for a star id make her watch as I drew a sad face on the chart. She absolutely hated that especially as I'd make a big deal of showing her dad the chart every evening so he knew how shed been x good luck x
  • Hi LH86, thanks for getting back to me. I'm glad you've had some success with it, so far I've had mixed reactions from mums I've spoken to about it. 

I think the idea of drawing a sad face rather than just leaving it blank is a good one, especially if her daddy can see it too. 

I think I'm going to go for it so I'll let you know how it goes.