Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Won't wear coat

My little one refuses to wear a coat. I just don't know what to do. We have tried different coats but nothing seems to work. I have tried a blankets as well but we just end up with full blown tantrums what ever I try. As soon as I put the coat on it's back off again. If I manage to get my little one to wear a coat it's never done up. I ended up with a lady from sure start on my doorstep the other week because someone had reported me. She was lovely and said i'm just living with a toddler and she wasn't worried. I always make sure she has a vest on and a warm top. Really upset and at my wits end. Help.

Replies

• Options

That's so awful someone reported you. I suggest two things. The first is, how about letting your little one pick their own coat? Make an event out of it? You know dress it up as a big day out, take them to H&M (quite cheap and huge selection) and let them pick their own coat. Failing that, have you seen those fleeces in Mothercare? Their really warm, loads of layers underneath, and again let your child pick their own one so its their choice. Good luck x

• Options

Ooo I'd get mean I'm afraid! Suggest a trip to the park but then flatly refuse to go until she puts her coat on. And don't give in.

I use this technique with my son a lot, particularly when trying to get him to have a wee - eg I tell him he's not allowed to go to bed until he at least tries to have a wee. What a mean mummy I sound!

Agree with Mrsg14 though that making a fuss of buying the coat first is a good idea.

• Options

Did u have any look my little girl wont were a cost or cardigan she wont even were a dressing gown she just says she will carry it and that she doesent like coats and wont tell me why even her favoret my little pony dressing gown