Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

How much does he really understand?

I really struggle with Isaac (DS2) who is 3 on 6th Jan. At his age my eldest seemed so much more mature. I know we shouldnt compare and I dont normally but when I ask him to do things especially 'not' to do things its like he dosnt understand. Am I comparing too much or is he taking the pee? He is a very stubborn little man. xxxxx

Replies

• Hi hun, its difficult to tell and like you say they are all different, is your hv any good, could you speak to her, My Isaac is the same, he appears to have limited understanding of things, especially danger, if he walks he will always let go of my hand and run off, he will not make eyecontact with me if I try to explain why things are dangerous or he shouldnt be doing them and although his speech is good he just doesnt seem to have the same understanding as the others.

Speak to your gp or hv, maybe they can suggest some strategies or some groups you can go to that may be able to help. x
  • Hi there. Every child is an individual but there will be a normal range of what it is normal for a 3 year old to understand. In general, your 3 year old should be beginning to understand some size concepts (e.g. big and small), some early prepositions (in, on and under) and have a wide range of vocabulary knowledge. Don't expect your 3 year old to understand more than 3 key pieces of information in a sentence e.g. " Put your RED SHOES on the TABLE" or "get your TEDDY'S BIG COAT." Even at that, since your child is just turning 3, he may still only be able to cope with 2 pieces of information and this would still be okay. XX
  • thanx ladies! xxxx

Hayley - I probably have a new HV as my old one was pg so is prob on mat leave. Think I will give them a call.

campbelly - thanx for the info, its great to know that hes meeting targets. I can say to him "go upstairs and get your welly boots on" and he can do it.

I dont think I explained properly. Where as at this age I could say to J. "stay down here while I go and have a wee" or "dont touch that cup its hot" he wouldnt think twice to follow me or touch the cup. Where as Isaac would. I dont know if its coz he dosnt fully understand or if hes just being disobedient?
  • If he is developing language comprehension normally than yes, he should be able to understand the examples you give. If you had any concerns that he wasn't understanding what you say, then you can always call your local speech and language therapy service for advice. X
  • Thanx Campbelly

Its more the negative things that he wont follow, if I say "dont" or "you're not allowed" thats when he switches off. I think hes just pushing boundries. xx