Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Tantrums

hi
my daughter is 3 in may and she is having some really bad tantrums screaming, yelling, kicking out,hitting,throwing etc.
i have 2 older children they are at school and iv never had this with them. i thought it was supposed to be terrible two's but as she is getting closer to 3 she seems to be getting worse not better. I know she is my 3rd and this should be easier for me but as i said new territory for me as my other children didn't really have tantrums like she does any advice would be fantastic xxxx :\?

Replies

• Hi

My DS1 was 3 on Tuesday and he suffers from the same tantrums. I find they are worse if he is hungry/tired/too warm. He also doesn't like change that much. He kicks/hits /shouts/ screams/ runs away etc I have to hold him on my lap firmly as he then starts on our dogs or our cars. He then headbutts me (have given me many a black eye) I know it is very difficult and my DH gets very embarrassed if he does it when we are out. I find the best way to calm him down is to ignore if possible until he sits down and screams and then I talk firmly to him but in a very quiet voice and the louder he gets the quieter I get. After about 10 minutes he starts to scream quieter!! I explain to him why it is wrong and then explain what he will miss out on if he doesn't stop or what he is allowed to do if he does. I give him the choice and explain that he has to make the right one so that he can carry on doing something. It does take its time and I have been working on this with gradual improvement over the past few weeks. I am used to tantrums as I teach but I know it can be difficult to stay calm. My DH finds it difficult to ignore and stay calm and I have found that the more irate my DH gets the worse my sons behaviour is.
    I only sit my son on my knee and hold him if he is hurting himself or someone/thing else but I always explain why I am doing it by whispering in his ear so that he understands that his actions have a consequence and that it is not acceptable.
    Probably not much help but I just wanted you to know you are not alone and that I understand your frustration.