Forum home Toddlers & older children Preschoolers
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Development (Also in toddler)

Hi Ladies,

I don't post much on here-although I use other areas of BE a lot. I have a ds who is almost 4 and a DD who is 2 years 4 months. We are TTC #3 as well so I often use the TTC forum.

I just wanted a little rant really and to see if anyone can indentify with me. My son had some speech problems, he basically didn't say very much at all until quite recently. He saw a speech thearapist at 2 who said they thought he just had speech delay and they weren't overly concerned. He did start speaking not long before his 3rd bday and now it's unbelievable how much he has come on. He is on a par with most kids his age-apart from some 'immaturaties' with his pronunciation which both myself and his pre school are keeping an eye on. He is STILL having some problems toilet trainning though. He was ill as a baby and had to have a stomach op. Since babyhood he has suffered with cronic constipation and is still on medication for it. That and the speech issue combiened made it so hard to potty train him, he is fine with wees but because of his negative conitations with pooing and it being painful he still isn't comfortable going on the toilet. We are going for an appointment with a child continance nurse next week to get some help with that. I am hopeful it isn't far off for him being fully trainned, it's taken ages.

Anyway, my DD who is now just over 2...she also has similar speech problems. She says more than my son at her age, but she is still no where near where she should be. She is also going through a phase where she won't walk anywhere. She just wants to be in her buggy all the time. Ds was walking everywhere at her age. I think people are suprised when I tell them how old she is because she seems so much younger. She is quite a head strong child and it makes it difficult for me to tell how well she understands phrases and instructions etc. I don't know if she can't follow what I say or if she just doesn't want to!

Both my two are lovely, happy children and I am so very proud of them and absolutely adore them. In other areas they were so early with regards to developement, they both walked, ran, jumped etc super early. My son is now obviously really bright and is coming on with reading, numbers etc. What I am trying to get at is I know they all get there with developement in the end, but sometimes I just feel so bogged down with it all. Like, it's just one issue or porblem after another. I also sometimes feel really guilty, like perhaps it's my fault-especially the speech thing, I think because they have BOTH had problems I worry its something I have done wrong. I asked the speech therapist and she said it is often genetic and my brother had speech delay too so maybe thats where it comes from, I don't know. I just feel like I am constantly worrying deep down about all this.
Can anyone else indentify?

Thanks for reading and sorry its sooo long!

xxxx

Replies

• Options
    Hi there. Just wanted to reassure you really. I am a speech and language therapist and as a mummy also I know it's a natural reaction to look to yourself for blame when your child has difficulties of any kind be that behaviour, development or anything. Can I just reiterate what you already have been told? We really don't know what cause the majority of communication difficulties in children but yes, we do find there is often a family history. In most situations I come across, the difficulty is in speech or language processing in the brain, and would have occurred during fetal development, meaning that the blame certainly cannot be attributed to parenting.

I know you know all this already, but it doesn't harm to hear it again!!
  • Options
    hi, not sur if i can really relate to this but kind of similar. my daughter is 3 n think she's a little behind on her speech as well as she goes to school n feel she should be sayin a lot more than she is. altough the health visitor thinks shes fine n its becuase she is been spoken to in 2 different languages so hav been reffered to a speech therapist next month for my piece of mind. cant wait to be reassured, so understand kind of wot u r going thru cos i kind of blame myself tryin to teach her two languages at the same time