Forum home General Chat Products & best buys

Dry, cracked and sometimes even bleeding hands

Hello,

Has anyone got any splendid ideas (preferably cheap) on how to treat my seriously dry hands caused by the constant washing from having a newborn and a potty training toddler?

Many thanks,
Samantha

Replies

• Get some cotton moisturiser gloves from the bodyshop and before you go to bed cover your hands in vaseline then put the gloves on - you'll look like a sleeping Michael Jackson but it works and its cheap!
  • Generations of women have sworn by Atrixo handcream - you can buy little pots or tubes for your handbag and a great big tub for your home and it's not very expensive either - my hands went really dry at one stage earlier in my pregnancy - very dry, cracked and slight bleeding like you - so I digged out the Atrixo (I had some anyway) and now I'm super soft again image
  • http://www.spacenk.co.uk/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=0031/4455/19204/&cid=B0031SKINHANDS&language=en-GB

Keihls ultimate strength hand salve is wonderful, it's not cheap and can be difficult to get hold of, but I really can not recommend it highly enough.
    I have always had cracked, very sore hands and suffer with eczema/dermatitis, which got worse with pregnancy. My doctor said I could use Hydrocortisone as they were very bad, but I really wasn't keen and this product has been an absolute godsend, it has really sorted my hands out.

The reason I tried it was because I also have blepharitus which makes my eyes really dry and swollen (ooh, don't I sound like a sex-kitten, covered in eczema with red, flaky eye lids) which last year were flaring up every 5 weeks or so, but since using kiehls avocado eye cream I haven't had a single reoccurrence, so maybe their products just agree with me.
  • OILATUM!! I swear by it. Particularly the bath formula. I had dermatitis a few years ago and 2 doctors told me I would always suffer from it. I suffered with sore dry hands for 2 years until one doctor suggested oilatum. I almost didnt try it thinking that something so cheap couldn't possibly solve such a horrible problem. It cleared it up within a week and i've not suffered since. If i start getting dry skin i just pop a bit in the bath one night and it sorts it out. They sell it at Boots. Good luck xx
  • Aveeno. My friend has really bad excema on her hands and this helped a lot. Made from oats in the recipe somewhere so quite gentle too. Maybe soak hand for 5 mins in warm wtare and porridge oats can help to soothe them. Faining that see gp, remember free prescriptions still.
    Filo x
  • I had really dry hands from all the washing of bottles etc and the first thing I did was change the washing up liquid I use. I bought some of the new Fairy clean & care washing up liquid and it is really great. I also use a new hand cream from vaseline for dry hands (can't remember the exact name but it is in a white tube with green writing). My hands feel so much better now and it didn't cost a fortune to do so.
  • If you havent already sorted this try

Boots - Olive Chamomile Wheat Germ Pregnancy Wonderbalm

I had tried loads of stuff to try to get rid of my lizard hands but this is the only stuff thats any good.