Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

big age gap between children

Hi was wondering if anyone else has large age gap between their children or are trying again after long wait.
I'm 33 and had my first daughter at 16!!! she will be 18 in september, my o/h and i are trying for a baby, i had a missed m/c 4 wks ago at 10wks. we are going to start trying again.

was wondering how you coped with such a big gap as i never thought i would have another child as daughter all grown up. how do you cope sleepless nights and dirty nappies?:\?
Def want another baby and My daughter can't wait til to become a big sister.

we were all and still are so upset about m/c.

becs xx

Replies

• Options
    hi my children are 15 16 19 20 so it was a nice suprise when i found out i was pregnant again unfortunately like you i lost it in jan so have been trying since then my kids cant wait for me to have another and i am also a nan to rayyan who will be 3 in october but i cant wait keep trying but nothing yet good luck love anita x x x
  • Options
    hi i'm sorry to hear of your m/c. It's my mum who had a long gap between kids my siblings and i are 32,29,26,22 and lew will be 12 in aug. Iam 17yrs older than my baby brother, it was a whole new experience for my mum she had scans which she never got with us and couldn't believe the difference in antenatal care! At times it was hard for her but no more than if lew was her first. The upsides were she didn't worry about the little things and was much more patient and relaxed as well. As a result of us being older we all had time to spend with him and looked after him loads. Mum said she feels he has def kept her young (shes 52 now) and when i had my children she wasn't out of touch so much with remembering the reality of how it can be.( my mil hasn't had experience of babies for 26yrs and looks at it through rosetinted specs ) My boys take it for granted that she knows who power rangers are, her knowledge of thomas etc . The fact he was an uncle at 5yrs old filled him with pride and takes his title very seriously! My kids adore him and he sometimes is more like their brother than mine but there are so many positives to having lewis the only downside i can think of i am prob quite out of pocket fiancially as i try to help mum out when i can towards practical stuff ( she's on her own ) and we treat him like we do the boys. But wouldn't have it any other way really so good luck and i hope all goes well.xxx
  • Options
    Hi, my mum had 6 of us; the 1st at 19 and the last at 40 - 21 years later!! And she was pregnant with the last one when my 19 yr old sis was pregnant with the 1st grandchild, lol. Never did us any harm, and we usually all get along x
  • Options
    There is a big age gap between all of us. My mum had my brother when she was 18 - then met my dad had me when my brother was 7 and then had my sister when I was 9. I loved having a big age gap because we all had individual time with our parents. And when my sister was being difficlt as a teenager - it mean that I could talk to her sensibly without her feeling my parents where being too strict. I would like to have a big age gap - but having my first at 33 whilst my husband is 39 - not sure if that will happen
  • Options
    Hi Becs,

My aunt is 42,she has a 27 yr old & 20yr old.
    Last month she had a little boy on the same day her first child was born she said its hard work getting up in the night and stuff as she forgot what the sleepness nights were like ?
    But she said she wouldn't change it for the world.
    Im sorry you have gone through a horrible experience which i know is very hard physically and emotionally .

I wish you and your partner all the best

x x x
  • Options
    hi i have one of 14, 12 ,4 and 1 and we are ttc no5.
    my older children love having babies in the house and my los benefit from having older children around them.
    good luck and babydust honey

love leighxxx
  • Options
    Hi thank you all for replying. my af arrived today so hopefully wont be long until we ttc again.
    love becs x