Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Promethazine (anti-sickness meds).

Hi!

My 2nd worry-based post to the forum!

I would just love to hear from any other pregnant laydees/mums who took these meds during pregnancy. As am worrying about any effects there may be.

I had 24 hr nausea from week 5, and was off work (in total for 5 weeks). As I was getting really down I was prescribed these tabs and am on 25mg twice daily. They take the edge off which helps.

Despite reassurance from various people I am - as usual! - still worrying about it.

Thanks
xx

Replies

• Options
    I took it during my 1st pregnancy and 2nd (my 1st ended in a miscarriage) i have to say it didnt help me a great deal. I had hyperemesis for almost the whole of my pregnancy. The meds made me feel tired and bunged up. I stopped taking it very soon after it was prescribed. I found eating bland foods in small portions but often helped me more. Good lubk.
  • Options
    Hi Deesco
    I had similar problem in 1st and this pregnancy. Both times in hosp on drip for while then home on Cyclizine (probably the same famly of drugs). My first baby was fine no probs at all although I worried throughout my pregnancy and didnt take the tabs that long as I felt so worried.
    This time though the sickness was much worse, and I felt more confident to take them longer. They definately took the edge of things although never took the sickness awaycompletely. Took them until I felt I could cope and was being sck only in the morning b 16 weeks.
    Hope you feel better soon, its hellish isn't it.
    Meg xx
  • Options
    Sparkleyrebecca, you shouldnt have lost ur job there are laws protecting you from discrimination especially when pregnant. I had about 4 months off work due to hyperemisis and i totally understand what u mean about peoples lack of empathy i thought i was being talked about all the time. I had to go on a drip too and hated every minute of it. I also used the sea bands and like you was impressed as they worked better than the meds. I kept them on all the time slept in them too.
  • Options
    I am off work at the moment with hyperemesis. I am nearly 25 weeks. I am taking Stemetil but its not really working. I see the consultant at the hospital every two weeks and my GP/midwife every 2 weeks too. Luckily, I haven't been hospitalised (yet). I have been signed off for 7 weeks so far, and don't know when/if my situation will improve. All I hear from people is 'So and so was sick too', or 'I was really sick, imagine what its like having other children to look after' and I know they don't understand just how sick I am. I would give anything to have what is known as normal morning sickness. I am terrified that I will stop getting paid or jeopardise my chances of going back to work part time after the baby is born.