Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Surname- angry at myself

me and oh had decided on a double barrel name as it was really important to me that my son had my name as well as his fathers, this was all fine until the day we went to ''register the birth/name him'' that morning oh started having a right go at me saying i was selfish and he wanted our boy to only have his surname same as his other two (from a previous relationship) image he just went on and on saying how out of order i was and it was never what he wanted and i had no right to expect him to go along with my surname being in there. by the time we got to the registary office i was in such a state i was even crying in the naming office, anyway i let him get his way and im really regreting it. I feel like such a push over being bullied into something i really didnt want to do.
anyway sorry for the winge probably sounds really silly, just had to get it off my chest. :cry:

Replies

• Options
    Sorry you are feeling crap! I am not married to my OH but my lo has his last name i dont really have a huge problem unless he never wants to get married but still if i was really concerned about it i would of have a double barrell name to. Is there no way you can change the last name (sorry if this sounds stupid i dont know) and then if you ever get married and take his name (assuming you are still together) then change the name just to both of your surnames. Maybe have a look up on the website to see about changing it if this really making you uphappy. It shouldnt matter to your OH what surname your lo has as its your surname to. Hope you get it sorted x
  • Options
    kristibelle that's awful and really out of order on your oh's half.
    Why should it matter to him if your lo has a double barrel surname?
    Me and my oh are not married and we chose to let my lo have his surname but we are planning to marry in 2010 so we all have the same surname.
    I'm not sure if there is anything you can do or not but if there is I would do it as you don't want to be regretting it forever more. At the end of the day it should be a joint decision and not just your oh bullying you into it!
  • Options
    I agree your OH seemed to bully you onto it and it was obvious you were not happy about it but he selfishly ignored this just so he could have his own way!I think a double barrelled name is the perfect compromise and cant understand why this would be an issue...?Talk it over again with your partner as it really seems to be making you unhappy and perhaps look into having it changed.
  • Options
    hi, if you feel bad about it then you have a year to change the details on the birth certificate, I had 3 of my children before me and hubby were married and i didnt have a problem with them taking his name because i always knew we would get married one day, it obviously means alot to you and your oh did seem to bully you then i would change the surmane.
  • Options
    Hi there

I had a similar problem with my oh. He wanted only his surname but we arent married and i wanted my lo to have my name aswell, cant really explain why but it just felt the fairest and right way to do it. When we went to the registry office i asked if we would be able to change the name from double baralled to just his if we were to get married and she said that we could and would just have a charge of ??3.50 for doing so, so that settled that one!! if he wants his name he'll have to marry me image now thats a fair dealimage xx
  • Options
    bless you.
    have to admit me and my partner had great problems with that too, something about 'male pride'. i gave in in the end,wish i hadnt,
  • Options
    Me and my oh arent married although we are planning to very soon, i changed my name to his surname by deed pole just before our little one was born so we could all have the smae name on his birth cert. would you not concider doing that so you all have the same name?
  • Options
    Hi all,

Me and my oh are having this argument at the moment. Even though we are engaged, we dont intend to get married for a long time. I want to keep my name ( I am the only one left to carry on my family name) and I dont see why I should have a different name to my child. Therefore we have agreed on double barrell name. The argument is whose name should be last. I think that my name should be last as it sounds better in that order, but he thinks that if we have it that way then people will drop his name and just use my surmame. I've told him that we will make sure that this wont happen but he is not happy and neither of us is backing down. I know that if I give him then his family will drop my name when calling the baby and will only use his name when telling people what the baby is called, where as my family wont. The thing that annoys me is that he has siblings to continue his family name where as I dont.

http://bd.lilypie.com/JX3N0/.png

• Options
    me and my fella have decided on a double barreled name as i want my baby to have the same surname as his brothers and sisters and myself and my oh wants the baby to have his name i hope you can work something out x
  • Options
    I'm married but like you havana have no one else to carry on the family name. The boys and I have a double barrelled name (mine first then dh as sounded better) but dh has just kept his surname. It can sometime be a bit of a hassel filling in doucuments and explaining but in general im really happy with how its worked out. poor boys do have 32 n 34 letters in their names tho xxDBxx
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev228pf___.png

• Options
    yeah Lewis has his dads surname and i agree it can be a hassle filling in things like opening bank accounts etc - because then yo have to prove your his mum! I put oh name on the birth certificate foe peace sake - he was lucky his name was on at ll because he works offshore and he was due to go away but h e didn't!
  • Options
    Hi,
    I dont know if this helps but my birthcertificate surname and the name that my mother used for me from birth are different, she never changed it by deed poll and I kept it till my mum remarried after my dad died and then I double barrelled my stepdads name onto it and now Im married and have my husbands surname.
    It hasnt caused me any problems Ive even had bank accounts in the surname my mother used for me without any problems, I think that aslong as its used continuasly(sp) then its fine ,ie not one surname for Dr and another for school etc.
    Just an idea if you really arent happy, you can even add your surname now in everything you register your little one for ie Dr, passport, hope this helps.
    Vikki
  • Options
    hhmm, oh hun, thats terrible, i'm surprised that the registrar would still carry on seeing the state you was in...

i'm not sure how you can go abouts doing it but i do remember a school friend of mine had her surname changed to her step-dad's when her mum got married so it is possible to do
  • Options
    When my eldest was born I really wanted him to have my surname as well as his Dads but his Dad only wanted him to have his. He was the 1st granchild on my side and as me and OH had only been together 3months when i fell pregnant i was really warey. We compromised and gave our son my surname as a middle name which I now think is really nice. We have gone on to have another daughter together and I am 34weeks pregnant with the next. Only the oldest has my name and it really doesnt bother me now. My OHs eldest from a previous relationship lives with us now and he has my partners surname too so I think its nice. The only problem I find at times is with schools and things it get confusing. they send letters home with parent guardian of such and such woth my surname in stead of his and when I sign consent forms for differnt thing i always state mother on them incase they get confused.
  • Options
    me and my husband were having the same problem when our son was born but i decided that because we were planning on getting married i would let our son just have his name, but had we not been planning on getting married i wouldn't have let it just be his name. after all im his mum i was the one that carried him for 9 months and gave birth to him, and im the one that will always be there no mater what happens, so why shouldnt he have the same last name as me x
  • Options
    thanks everyone, ive just been using the name i wanted to use for him, though himself moaned about it! dont think its likely we will get married, otherwise i wouldnt have minded as much. thanks again girls x
  • Options
    We had the surname discussion, too, but I for myself have decided to give our baby the fathers surname, but I have not told my oh. He thinks that I want to give my child my own surname, because this is what I have said so far.

There are only girls in our family, so there is nobody to carry on our family, but it doesn't bother me. I think we will get married some time, but only after we had all our children and perhaps not too soon after that either. I think it is nice for the child to have the fathers surname, so the father feels more involved and it is easier for the father to take the child somewhere (school, doctors, etc.).

But I do realise that there are some problems with that for the mother or even worse, if you split up with your partner. I have a friend, who that happened to and now she is left with a child without a father, but with his surname. She has changed the surname, but it will be on the birth certificate forever and he has got no interest in the child anymore.

But I obviously hope and believe that most people that have children together think that they will stay together forever, so it shouldn't really matter who's name the baby has got.

[Modified by: lana27 on May 25, 2008 01:17 PM]
  • Options
    I gave my eldest son his biological fathers name and have totally regretted it since tbh. We weren't married and he left me and ds when lo was 12 weeks (on Boxing day).

I then met a new partner and when I fell pregnant I didn't know what to do with regards my two kids having a different name (and me another) so I told my partner when I was pregnant that until we were married my dd would have my surname.

When my dd was born he proposed and we set a dat so I was happy enough to go ahead and register his name (the things a man will do to get his own way lol). We did get married and I also changed my sons name so we are all the same.

If I was to advise anyone in this position I would say that unless you are pretty sure you are going to marry the person I wouldn't give the child his name
  • Options
    i'm so sorry he made you feel so bad especially as in actual fact you had every right to give lo your surname alone as you are not married he has no rights to that, and it was kind of you to suggest double-barrelled. just because the mother of his other children didn't mind doesn't mean you can't. if you still feel strongly about it i would suggest you take some of the advice these other mums have given to put it right for you, best of luck
  • Options
    i had trouble with my lo's dad about surnames too.
    we were together but not married and had not been getting on great...he wanted his surname but i said i wanted mine for the fact that it can be changed to his if we had more children or we got married.
    i explained to him that with the way things were between us i didn't want her to have his surname, then we split up and i have children with someone else...then my children would all have different surnames.
    her surname could be changed to his whenever but could never be changed back if things didn't work out.
    he wasn't happy about it but i'm so glad i stood my ground as we split up a few months ago. i would've hated my child having a different surname to me forever and now if i have anymore children i am happier that they will all have the same surname.
    he thinks i was being selfish...maybe i was....but i don't regret it one bit.
    xxx