Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Lazy Men

I am so frustrated with oh. Just curious, how much help do you all get from oh. From what I hear, it seems very common that women feel oh doesn't help as much as they should. I feel I haven't slept since lo was born, and oh is so ungrateful and lazy.

Replies

• Hi i am very fed up with hubby i know he works but he doesnt take the lead and even take her for a walk at weekend so i can shower in peace i mean he even accused me of having a shower when he wanted one on purpuse(sp)i mean how annoying and as for doing anything for lo thats a laugh ive given up even asking he wanted to be in charge of bathing Lexie but he hasnt given her a bath for about three weeks so if i waited for him to wash her she would be filthy Lexie is 8weeks old on tuesday, how old is your lo?Phill does make dinner most nights but only easy stuff from the freezer.i am lucky she has slept through for 6 nights now and before that she was only waking once at 4am so not too bad the first two weeks were bad.Phill wants us to have another next year but untill he helps out more thats not happening.hope your oh starts helping you more take care
    Linimage
  • Post withdrawn
  • I don't think theres a perfect man no but speaking from experience I will say they can be changed. They are still going to p you off at times but not as often.

My first rule is to say what I think (well a diluted version of what I'm thinking!!) men DO NOT respond to sighs, huffing and puffing etc they don't do mind reading very well either- which all too often we expect them too. I personally don't think sitting them down for one of those chats helps either coz they just get all defensive and it turns into an argument.

My oh is far from lazy- he is a house husband and does do most of the household chores but sometimes he does need a push in the right direction. Men generally aren't as fussy as women about housework so he does need asking sometimes to hoover but I just ask him-problem solved. Same with bathing kids- I know hubby doesn't particularly like doing it so I usually do but if I'm too tired rather than making it an issue I will just ask him to do it.

Sometimes they will huff and puff about being asked but I just ignore that to be honest!!
  • i know how you feel,my boyfriend dusnt help round the house, if i want DIY doing i have to wate weeks,
    since iv been with him he has never cooked or cleaned.
    we have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter who he has only looked after 3 times since she was born for no longer then 2 hours lol.
    but i have to say he is starting to help abit now as i am looking after my daughter as well as beeing pregnant again

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev099pr___.png

• My oh helped loads when lo was first born, got up with me for all feeds and changed nappies, now he says that he helps loads but all he actually does is one feed a day, i am also working mornings so finding it hard to fit stuff in and really look forward to my evenings after lo is in bed, the other afternoon i asked if he would watch her while i had a bath and he said couldn't i do it when she was in bed, god that peed me off! by the time i settle her clear up and do bottles for next day it is 9pm and i wnt to have a bit of time to sit and relax not still be up drying my hair. He thinks when he is doing some work from home in afternoon and i have lo that he is hard done by even though 9 times out of 10 he has a kip but he doesn't think looking after lo is tiring.
    LO is very restless sleeper and oh does take it in turns getting up to settle her but moans constantly about it even though he gets more sleep than me.
    Sorry started and couldn't stop then must be getting to me more than i thought!
  • I was just about to open a new subject titled Lazy gits!!!!! lol,what a coincidence! To be honest I think we are partly to blame cause we let them get a way with it. I dont know about anyone else but i just get so fed up of moaning at him or else waiting for him to do it.............................................Yawn!!!!! that i end up doing it myself anyway. And i dont even bother asking anymore,its just not worth d hassle. I do everything at home. EVERYTHING. Once in maybe 2 wks he will wash up d dishes and thats about it. He will change Leahs nappy. Yet to give her her dinner or breakfast he seems to forget,even if hes fixing his own! He has to ask me if she needs a bath and when i say yes go on then hes like you do it but,even if im in d middle of something! Ive asked him 3 times to help me move furniture back into laundry room,as we had to have machine repared. I ended up doing it myself last night....(thats when he wanted me to do her bath btw)....... Sat I did 4 machine loads and folded his clothes neat and tidy and left them on his side of the bed as had loads of work to do. They were dropped on d floor and stayed there till Sun eve when I picked them up. I threw them on the bed(im not folding them again) they dropped again during d night as he still didnt bother to move them and they were on d floor this morning when he left! One of our cats has started peeing in the bathroom for some weird reason and although i love my cats i carnt stand d smell of cats pee. This has happened every day for 6 days in a row and I tried to explain how upset I was getting at cleaning it all d time and of the smell. I put the cats in the yard as a punishment and after 1n half hrs he said awwwwwwwwwww lets let em back in. When I tried to explain how fed up I was he didnt want to hear and refused to listen. I soooooooooooo wish d cats would pee on his bloody precious computer then he would listen and maybe do something about it! He actually said Sunday that he could smell it. So why why why didnt he clean it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Sorry for the rant but thats been building up all weekend! sorry girls im just so fed up of doing everything and no appreciation.
  • Post withdrawn
  • lol id be lucky if he made me a drink......he'd have to get up off d pc to do that! Dinner made......................u lucky thing. Not since we've been together.....but he will go and get or order take away when I'm to tired so i don't mind to much. Thanks for the tip with d cats. We had to leave them for 3 days while we went on hol and a couple v friends came every day to check on them,but it started from there. Also I know that d youngest cat keeps chasing bonnie,which is the one that i think is peeing. 2day i cleaned it out with bleach,the smell is strong,so hopefully it will deter the cats! Its a combination of things for me I think.......I'm fed up of cooking and cleaning and generally dogs body with no appreciation. And im fed up of doing all the cleaning....everything. Im hoping to return work,not my original job as I dont have anyone to look after lo,but a couple of eves a week in a local restaurant as reservations . My oh looked shocked that I was really applying for it. I think hes realising hes got it toooooooooooooooo cushy !
  • I made a household rota as I was getting a bit pissed off having to prompt oh to do things, he will do them but only if i remind him to do them. He tries to occasionally get out of bath time (he does it everynight) but I never let him & I have to get him to give lo dinner if I have sometihng else to do or just don't want ot do it after dealing with breakfast, lunch & snacks all day.

So now we have a rota, he has to emply bins upstairs 3 times a week, wash bottles & dishes on friday, saturday & sunday (I do rest of week), take care of lo for most of Saturday whilst I get on with things downstairs or go out to the shops & make him deal with daytime feeds, lunch, bottles etc during the weekend.

Now he knows what is expected & when he is much more efficient although I do have to ask if he has looked at his rota today yet but it is much better than going " have you emptied those bins yet, have you washed the bottles yet? & sound like a nag.

I still lose my temper sometimes but at least this way I feel he is doing his share but I go back to work in a couple of weeks & things will need to change again cause I wont be doing the washing up at 9pm like I do now after getting lo settled in bed, clearing up the dinner things & generally straightening the house after the day & oh buggers off upstairs to his office to mess around with his guitars.

We are to blame though cause we complain & never do anything about it but I decided enough was enough & although oh was always good with lo changing nappies & playing with him he wouldn't ever think about the rest of it like housework, making bottles & lo's weaning food so made the rota & life is a lot happier.
  • Reading this forum has made me feel so much better. i though I was alone with having a usless OH. We have 3 children alreasy all uner 6 and i am due our 4th in June. All last week i was feeling really ill and on friday i took really bad with gallstones and was rushed to hospital. He didnt come with me. I had to stay in friday night and when I rang him he was like fot **** sake, its not that bad. I felt so under pressure i discharged myself on Saturday. The first thing he done when I got home was ask whats for dinner. He hadnt even washed the dishes from the night before. On sunday the pain was becoming unbearable. He was at a friends so I text him saying when he gets home I am going to have to go back in to hospital. He arrived home a little while later shouting and screaming that it was my own fault because I discharged myself. He even had the cheek to say that I was only going back into hospital because i didnt want to get up to thake the kids to school. I washed the uniforms and set them all out on hangers in the living room with underwear and socks for the eldest too kids for school moonday morning fed them and bathed them before going back in to hospital. On monday mornig he phoned me in the hospital at 7:30 am shouting where would he find clothes for our youngest who is 2 and a half. He told me it wasnt galstones i had and was just wind!! I had a scan to confirm it was stones on monday and he sent me a text saying im leaving you! he didnt mean it he said it was becasue the house was left in a mess and i hadnt cleaned b4 going in to hosp. i told him monday night i was hping to be discharged tuesday as only treatment i could have was pain relief due to pregnancy. On tueday morning he rang to say he was coming to pick me up as soon as he had dropped kids at school. I tried to explain that I couldnt go til I seen the doc and he went mad said he wasnt hanging around all day. I had to explain to the nurse that i needed to leave asap so she spoke to doc who discharged me at 10:30. Oh wouldnt come up to the ward. When i got home he hadnt lifted a finger in the house and expected me to start cooking steak and chips while he had a soak in the bath as he had had a 'hard couple of days'. No consideration for the fact i was still in pain and hadnt eaten for a week and was only allowed fat free food! Ehhh sometimes i want to scream!
    Ok my rant over sorry and thanks for listening. Such a relief
  • wow aideen, is he still breathing?? sorry but if my oh ever said even one of those comments to me at any time, let alone being preggers with is 4th child he would be out on his ass...or dead. Either way is suitable for someone with such lack of respect.
  • Hi Everyone

My oh has just got the hang of helping out after 3 weeks of me going mental at him but then realized that wasn't the way to do it!

I kept expecting him just to know what to do where and when, so I just asked him..'Can you do the washing up please?' 'Can you change lo nappy?' I think the thing with most men is they don't just do things like us, they need to be asked!!

• Wow bee bee what a good idea,a rosta! I think i might actually suggest this as yes its true when w have to ask for each individual thing it gets too much and also we can discuss before hand what we think is fare and then there's no going back on it!
    Aideen how do you put up with that! I mean its not just that he dont do things,but the way hes talking to you dont sound right to me! Was this 4th baby planned? sorry for asking but hubby sounds either mega stressed or not happy about something.........I had togo into hospital and no body ever wants to go in and if they do then it must be hell at home! So either way he should be concerned! My oh dont do much around d house at all but if he talked to me like that when im that ill id bloody throttle him!
  • bex if he is a reasonable man he will be happy to go along with it IMO.
    Try it, you might just find it saves your sanity (& maybe marriage too image
  • Post withdrawn
  • sorry ladies but my oh couldnt help out enuf,he lets me sleep in at wknds while he sorts lo out,asks me what i would like done around the house while hes here,cooks,cleans does the ironing and runs me a bath with candles so i can have a bit of me time,oh and he cleans the toilet because i refused to do it because he cant aim to save himself despite having 26 years to perfect it lol but being honest i do most of the work because he works loads of hours and deserves a relax aswell,he does understand how much work it is looking after lo,let alone looking after 4 kids,i'd kick him into touch of kick the git out! i dont you diserve to be treated like that
  • Grudie im tot fXXXing jealous! can we swap?????
  • al let you borrow him if you want lol although hes not that great at washing up lol
  • I really sympathise with you ladies who have to put up with lazy men like that!! I dont know how you cope and resist the urge to kick them where it hurts.

i know i am spoiled by my husband. Because he used to be a chef he is very domesticated. He also used to do a lot of work at home when he was in his teens as his dad had a brain tumour and his mum was out at work so he cooked tea for the family and looked after his little sister.

He is great around teh house - he washes up most nights (and since being pregnant has made me sit down straight after tea and hardly lets me help); he cooks (although we tend to share the cooking), he cleans, puts the washing machine on, i get a cup of tea brought up to me every morning (even did this before i got pregnant), defrosts my car on frosty mornings, unpacks the groceries for me. The only things he doesnt do is iron or garden which is fine by me.

If i go out shopping for the day, i will come back and he will have done some housework, done a few loads of washing and hung it out, and probably made something like soup or chilli by the time i get home.

Reading some of your posts has made me realise how great he is and i;m going to try even harder to show him how much i apprecaite it.
  • Sorry forgot to say, even though he is wonderful around the house he is still human and can be an awkward arse at times and we fight like cat and dog a lot of the time (probably me being a ratty cow)!!