Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

im double-minded, pls advice....

im so stressd and depressd and just dont know what to do.....
im a honour graduate, but never worked because i started a family as soon as i graduated, and then before i knew it 7 years had passed and i have 3 kids, but i really want to work. i graduated in biomedical science and only i know how i managed it, so i feel like i real dumbass failure when i think i toiled away for 4 years to prove myself then threw it away for a THIS family life????
dont get me wrong, i love my kids, and i enjoy being a full-time stay at home mum, but i dont want those 4 years of studying to do down the toilet.
my hubby isnt so supportive becos hes worried abt wat wud happen to the kids if i do get a job, and he aint wrong cos i dont have a clue of wat i wud do with my kids, how i wud organise child care and after school care and the house-work, etc.......but then again, i want to work..........
i know im being an idiot but is there ne advice of ne sort? pls help im in such a dilemna....
also i heard my degree will be thrown down the toilet after 10 years of graduating if u dont obtain a job becos it isnt worth nothing.....does ne1 know if that is true???
ps my kids r 5, 3 and 8mnths......is there a way to find a job with such young kids????

Replies

• my situation is quite different but i know how you feel! I have a 3 girls and cant afford to go back to work which worried me as im not a good stay at home person. Iv become chair of the school PTA and have been really busy, Iv organised a disco, xmas fair and lunch with santa, Iv been really really busy but iv enjoyed acheiving something and feeling like I can do more than change nappies. just a suggestion but a bit of voluntery work could be a good conpromise and will help you see how you'd getonback atwork x
    sorrymyspace bar isn't woking properl;y x
  • I know whaTt you mean.
    I graduated as a nurse, fell pregnant and only ended up working 4months. Sadly where I worked wasnt supportive and as always short staffed so I was keen on going back. Im still registered and have from feb this yr until feb2013 before my registration runs out. Im still paying each yr. Sometimesd I think it would be nice, but then if I do return to work it would just be to keep my registration adn I would have to put lo in childcare as no family avaliable locally.
    I think I will end up not returning to work until lo older then doing a yr return to nursing course.

What types of jobs can you do which need a biomedical sci degree?
  • i did apply for quite a few jobs while i was pregnant with my first, but i was either over qualified or under qualified.......ive always wanted to work in a lab, either hospital or private, with blood and human tissue and stuff.
    i did get a job, just before i found out i was pregnant with my second. it was in a private research lab. i was only there 2weeks when i found out i was pregnant. at first every1 was really happy with me, but as my pregnancy progressed, so did my morning sickness and my diabetes, i got one infection after another, and before i know it they had kicked me out after my 3 mnths probabtion period was over. that really cracked my confidence, and ive probably felt even worse of a failure since then.
    no offence to iansprincess but if i wanted to keep more busy than i already am then i wud go to our shop and work and give my husband a break from out business, but wat i REALLY want is to work in a lab........
    thanx to both of u's for ur replies tho.....i appreciate it!!!!
  • Think I replied to your post in working mums, but just noticed this too. I worked as a Biomedical Scientist, in a hospital lab until June this year when I gave up work to be a SAHM. Biomedical science is a bit different to nursing in that although you have a degree, you'd need to get a trainee job and do your training on the job before becoming registered - but on the plus side you haven't yet your registration lapse as you're not actually registered yet.
    Although your degree won't expire, there is anew type of degree in which the training is done during the degree, so these students will graduated as state registered BMS's - and it would be these people you would be competing with for jobs. That's not to say it's not worth you applying, and I'm sure there are still trainee jobs out there - my lab has always been short staffed! - have a look at www.careerscene.com. If you see any ads for jobs locally, you could always phone and ask if they'd show you round, even if you don't feel ready to apply yet it'd give you some insight and the opportunity to ask questions. Also, have a look for MLA (lab assistant) jobs - probably not exactly what you're after but would give you a foot in the door and more idea what the lab work is really all about.
    I've not renewed my registraion at this cycle as I'd have to do some retraining after two years out of practice anyway, which I'm intending to have - so didn't think it was worth shelling out the registration fee.

Good luck x