Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

anyone know about scottish family law??

sorry to be a pain, i have posted about this before a while ago but i cant sleep for worrying about it, and i thought maybe be some new people might have joined who might know about this or know someone in this situation.so here goes.....

i have a 3 yr old girl, her real dad and i have never lived together, altho were a 'couple' til she was 3 months old, i met my now husband when she was 8months old and we got married when she was 2, so he has been a major part of her life. i am now 5months preg so she will soon have a bro or sis too.

her real dad's name is on her birth certifiicate, altho she now has my married name as we changed her name officially, her real dad has no parental responsibility cause at the time she was born, being on the certificate didnt automatically give him responsibility.he sees her 2 afternoons a week, and pays towards her but here is no legal arrangement.

what i want to know is what something happened to me (i died to be specific), would she be allowed to stay with her step dad and bro/sis? her real dad says he would fight to get her, but to me, this is just upsetting her wee life, as she has never even stayed overnight at his and he has to bring her home early a lot cause she crying to get home. etc...altho i have no reason to say he treats her bad or anything.

also would my husband be able to get paretnal responsibility as her real dad has never tried to get this?

i will be phoning for legal advice on monday becasue i only today found out that her real dad would actually fight to get her, when i kind of thought he would see it best for ther to stay here...real dad's words were, "dont be stupid laura, im her dad he's not"....so its more like a possession issue i feel!!

anyone any thoughts??

sorry but i have been crying all day about this and it is my BIRTHDAY!!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

Replies

• hi laura didnt want to read and run im from scotland also im ot sure on family law i assume your husband has adopted your little girl as she has his name if thats the case then she
    would stay with your husband and brother or sister and he has legally adopted her so in the eyes of law then she is his child. also in eyes of law its not whos on paper as anyone can father a child but it takes someone special to be a daddy. if something was to happen to you ( which it wont) so stop panicking then courts are in your hubbys favour as
    a: hes adopted her
    b: he has raised her from a baby
    c: your wee girl cries when with biological dad
    d: your hubby is only daddy she has really known

so courts would be in favour of keeping family unit complete as to not coz grief to your little girl your ex would still be entitled to access rights as his name on birth certificate

sorry for going on as i said i dont know the scottish law but me and oh would assume this would be path that was taken.

good luck and sorry couldnt be much help lease keep me posted

all the best tracey xxx
  • hi thanks my hubbie hasnt adopted her, we just changed her name to his because i changed my name to his and she used to go by my maiden name (altho she was offically her dads name if that makes sense).

he would adopt her or at least try to get paretnal responsibility but it hink her real dad would have to give permission as he is still around. i will get legal advice on monday then i will have a clearer picture of the situation, but it helps to find out that her real dads sisters anf rest of family also say it would be best for her to stay where she is with my husband, because they are thinking of her best interests not as she is a possession.