Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Depression and pregnancy

Hiya!

I seem to be filling the forum with all my worries today!!

I just wanted to chat to other laydees who have previously suffered from depression and are or have coped with pregnancy without their anti-depressants.

I had my last (v low dose) escitalopram about 5 weeks ago, as have been slowly coming off them for bout a year in order to start a family. But now I've started having bad periods again where it feels like the old depression symptoms are coming back.

I am being seen by a Mother and Baby mental health unit, but obviously they dont want to put you on any meds if they can help it.

Am just really worrying how I can cope for another 6 months without meds and if it will get worse.

Replies

• Options
    hi deesco firstly congratulations on your pregnancy, im really happy for you. i have been up and down with depression for a few years and been on and off antidepressants too, but unfortunaltly ive not been pregnant long enough to comment on them both together but i think it depends on the degree of depression (and what caused it in the first place etc etc etc) and the person in question with me it just been life seems to be good at throwing stuff at me, so ive been on antidedressants just to help me through that part of my life..but then some one up there has thought she standing again ill throw some more s... her way! lol... and god ive i been through some stuff! some times it all gets to me and i can go through a low period and can be filled with anxiety (spelt it wrong) etc but other wise not too bad concidering...i had been on some tablets priyor to ttc and came off them a good 4 months before we got started but for me the thought of trying for a baby was enough for me to keep positive and have another chance of happiness. i too wouldnt take any tablets while carrying but i know thats a personal choice and some people dont have any choice in the matter but can understand why the mother and baby mental health unit are against it. you are doing really well with the sounds of things on your post so you must be doing something right spud.. it must be such a happy time for you knowing you have a beautiful baby growing inside you and im sure your doing great and will continue to do so as the months pass. im sorry i cant offer any real help but we are all here for you if you ever want to talk. its a great site as you prob already know, filled with great ladies who are only too happy to chat and offer advice. take care x x
  • Options
    Hey deesco
    I suffered with depression on and off since my teens and have been on antidepressants a few times but never long term. I found myself feeling depressed again during pregnancy at around fourteen weeks, I cried for three hours solid once coz I couldnt find my shoes, and was having panic attacks going to work. I saw a very unhelpful doctor who told me that it wwas normal to feel a bit like this and that it was hormonal and to let him know if it got worse. I was really mad at the time but the thing was to some extent he was right. Over the weeks I started feeling loads better, teh panic attacks stopped and to be honest by the end of the pregnancy I was feeling about the least depressed I have in years, despite still bawling over episodes of Futurama. I dont mean to belittle your feelings in any way, and of course you need to be aware of ur emotional state with your history. All I'm saying is whather you've a history of depression or not, pregnancy hormones can really screw with you, so if you can ride it out as little you may find your depression eases a little. Sorry if this hasn't helped but best of luck and however you get through it never forget why your doing this, if that isn't a goal worth focusing on I dont know what is.
  • Options
    Has anyone's doctor recommended any means to combat depression which they feel are sufficiently safe to take when pregnant?
  • Options
    Hi Scarlet

There are some of the older anti-depressants - eg Prozac - which they will prescribe. They are considered safe as they have been used alot in pregnancy with no adverse effects. Doctors just generally do not want to give any type of meds to pregnant laydees if they dont have to. But the doctor I saw at the Mother and Baby mental health unit did say they would prescribe these 'safe' drugs if necessary.

Hope that helps!

Anna
    xxx