Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships

pregnant and pressured at work

hi im new, and 27 weeks pregnant in need of some advice.
where do i start, well last year i decided to quit my job because of a pay dispute, my employer managed to talk me around by the promise of a small pay rise and a managerial position, i agreed because they were full of praise for the work i have done and my commitment to the company in the past, to quote my employer " you are an asset to the company " . that was 12 months ago i am now pregnant and due to finish for maternity leave in 7 weeks time, for the past 6 weeks i have been doing longer hours, which they pressure you to do, i was off work last week with a bad water infection and decided to go back to my normal 9-5 hours, for which. since then i have been called into the office and they told me that had never let them know of this in advance which i did, they are now telling me that i am due to lose my position as manager and that my standard of work has slipped, im am basicaly not fulfilling my role which, they are also wanting to make deductions from my wages for any mistakes made in the future .
a rather strong contrast to the praise i was getting last year , all this has happened in the space of one week.
i have been very upset and stressed this weekend, i no longer want to do the extra hours because i am tired, stressed, and angry, but worried that they may now sack me if i refuse, can anyone please offer any advice on how i should tackle this stressful situation, i am dreading go to work tomorrow .

tanx jem

Replies

• oooooooooo - people like that need shooting!! They can not bully you in this way - they are treading very thin ice by doing so and probably hoping you don't know what ur rights are. You need to contact ACAS asap as they can give you tons of advice. I think you also need to contact the HR dept at ur work and get them involved - also arrange a risk assessment of ur current working conditions as they stand now. have a look at these web-sites too hun........

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/WorkAndFamilies/DG_10026556

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1753

Good luck and stand up for ur rights hun - they're the ones who are gonna lose big time if they try and push this any further.
  • They are bullying you. If they were trying to work while heavily pregnant i bet they may not do as well as usual. Swat up on your rights then make them aware of the laws protecting you and dont be scared to seek legal advice if they persist as im sure you have a case and can do very well if you do persue it.
    goodluck xxx