Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships

Spina bifida results

Hi girls, i am 17 wks pg and my spina bifida results have come back that i`l high risk, i have a scan on wed, and just could do with some advice, i am so scared right now, i did have a scan at 14 wks which he said looked perfect, so i am worried now, wondering what the chances are, are these tests spot on? any advice i would be grateful off and thanks
Donna 17wks

Replies

• When i was preg with Dawn they told me that the tests can come back postive and it is wrong. I never went for my spina bifida or downs test as they didnt bother me. If he looked fine on ur 14 week scan he should be fine.
    Hope eveything is fine.
    Roxi xx
  • The problem with the tests is that it only gives you a rating not a certainty. They should be able to tell with the scan more though - although they won't guarantee anything unless it's really clear.

I wouldn't stress about it too much until they give you a clearer answer.

My brother in law has severe spina bifida and although was only given a life expectancy of 10 - 15 years (after first being told 8 years!!) he's 32 this year and, although in a wheelchair, he's doing well!

Thinking of you though as it's a stressful time! :\)
  • Thankyou for giving me advice and sharing your experiences with me, it`s all very helpful, thanks.
    Donna x
  • Hi Donrose, I'm exactly the same had my letter through from the triple test last night asking me to come in for a scan with the consultant tomorrow (thurs). I've just spoken to the hospital and they said my risk for spina bifta is 1 in 126. I'm trying to look on the positive as it is still less than 1% so I have more than a 99% chance things will be fine. Hopefully when I have the scan I will be more informed and can decide whether to have an amnio or not.
    Hopefully you will have had your scan by now and things are fine. Let me know.