Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Confused, advice pls...

HIya,

I'm really in limbo at the moment and could do with some advice and support...

On the 12th august this year i had a d&c due to miscarriage and a laparoscopy just to rule out ectopic. In the week previous to this i had slight spotting and 3 scans, and numerous blood test to check my HCG levels. My levels were not doubling as they should have been, but still rising and all the scan showed was a sac, the second sac showed that the sac had grown, but couldn't see a fetus, they thought it might have been ectopic..i started to bleed a little heavier and was admitted as my cervix was open, they said i was having a miscarriage( i was 8 wks, but the size of the sac was 6 wks). I agreed for the contents of the d&c to be sent off for a histology. I got a phoene call yesterday from the midwife at the hospital telling me that there was no product of conception in the results of the histology and was asked to do a home pregnancy test and to call back monday with the results.....i did the test this morning and it's positive! A STRONG positive.!
I don't understand...i didn't pass any clots when i was bleeding and the hospital have said there was no product of conception in the d&c,where did the baby go? was there ever a baby there? I had all the symptoms of pregnancy and they saw the sac.
After the d&c i made an apt with my doctor to talk about TTC again, as the previous was a planned pregnancy and she said we could try straight away, no need to wait. I've had a postive result this morning, a strong line....could this be from the previous pregnancy or could i be pregnant again?!

Arghhh my head is going to explode....has anyone else been through a similar experience?

Leanne :\? xx

[Modified by: anne7910 on 08 September 2007 11:12:42 ]

Replies

• Options
    hi Leanne

Sorry I have not experienced anything similar. I had a mmc in June and had D and C.

Have you worked out dates etc, is is possible you could be preg again?? or do you think this is from the previous preg. So difficult to know but I guess the best thing would be to get a scan done, is this possible??

I have heard of failed pregnancies being reabsorbed in to the body so this may have happened to you. I suppose having your preg hormone levels measured may give you an indication of what is really going on.

Try not to get too stressed with it all.....it is great you have a positive result and fingers crossed all goes smoothly from now on.
    Good luck
    Sian X
  • Options
    Hi leanne
    So sorry to hear that you miscarried. I have heard that you can have positive results for quite a few weeks afterwards in some cases.
    having said that, my mum became pregnant again within one month of having a miscarriage at 8 weeks and went on to have me.
    I am 11 weeks pregnant at the moment and had some bleeding this morning. The doc has arranged a scan for wed and i can't wait as i just want to know everything is ok. my 2 sons were born premature and i am just hoping this lo will stay where it is for long enough.
    Take care x
  • Options
    Thanks for the replys.....guess i'll have more of an indicatin of whats gonna happen next tomorrow when i phone the midwife back.

Sianiblew, i have also heard of failed pregnancy's being re-absorbed into the body, all the sonographer saw when i had the scans was the sac, so maybe thats the case for me? image As for the positive result...the line was alot stronger this time round than it was whe i did the first test before i miscarried. Confusing eh?

Mini-mum-maria, I've also heard of positive results some weeks after, but i thought that was only when there were complications or the d&c wasn't carried out properly and some products of conception were left behind, i dont beleive i had any complications, other than an infection at the site where the laparoscopy was done. I do hope your scan brings good news, i bled from 8wks - 20wks with my first (i have 2 boys age 6&3) My eldest was also born premeture, due to pre-eclampsia. Let me know how you get on x

Anyway, I'm trying to keep positive but not get excited at the thought i might have just fallen pregnant again so fast. I'm presumming that they will send me for blood test to find out wether my HCG levels are falling or rising, which will indicated wether they are hormones from the previous pregnancy or fresh from a new one. image God i do feel like my head is gonna explode i have so many thought racing around my head!

Leanne
    :\?

[Modified by: anne7910 on September 09, 2007 10:37 AM]
  • Options
    Good luck Leanne

Keep us posted
    X Sian X
  • Options
    Well i phoned the midwife this morning and she asked me to go in for a blood test (just as i thought she might have), having another Wednesday, so everything may be alittle clearer then, they are going to compare levels.
    I asked her what it meant when she said there was 'no product of conception' found, she suggested that maybe it wasn't formed enough to see or something, she wan't very clear! Still in limbo til Weds, fingers crossed for me.

Leanne xx
    :\?

[Modified by: anne7910 on September 10, 2007 12:35 PM]
  • Options
    good luck hun

i read your post the other day and it really confused me! Hope you get all the answers your looking for tomorrow! did you work out your dates to see if its possible you could be pregnant again? Im guessing you will know whats going on tomorrow anyway.

charlie x 13+6
  • Options
    Hiya Charlie, thanks for wishing me luck, i've just this second worked out dates and such, if i'm right in counting 28 days from the day after my D&C then i was due to come on Monday.....but i'm pressuming my body has some recovering to do, so it might be longer that 28 days, not sure if my body will return to a normal cycle straight away...i will be shocked, but very happy if they tell me i'm pregnant again this soon. I'm what you might say alittle aprehensive!

'm still very confused as to why they didn't find any products of conception in the histology? image

Anyway, tomorrow seems so far away, they are going to ring me in the afternoon, and no doubt it'll be the longest afternoon ever!

Leanne xx
  • Options
    hi

i will be thinking of you tomorrow hun, will they just be telling you the results of your blood tests on the phone? Really hope it goes well

charlie x13+6
  • Options
    OMG.......I'm in a total case of shock!!!! I got my phonecall after what seemed like the longest day ever, and the midwife told me my hcg levels have doubled, so i am pregnant! They have made me an appointment for a scan for next Thursday.....on tenterhooks til then! Not sure what my dates are or if they are gonna be able to see anything! Omg, i can't believe it, i'm smiling from ear to ear, but yet still scared incase something goes wrong like last time.

I'll keep you posted image

Leanne xx

[Modified by: anne7910 on September 12, 2007 05:28 PM]

[Modified by: anne7910 on September 12, 2007 05:29 PM]
  • Options
    im so happy for you hun! congratualtions, try not to get stressed about anything im sure it will all be fine this time!

I had a very early miscarriage last year and am now 14 weeks pregnant, it seems like alot of women miscarry their first for some reason? So sure you will be ok! I know its hard not to worry, i still check for blood everytime i go toilet and i've already had a scan and have a doppler which i use all the time!

How are you feeling now? And your OH?

charlie x 14wks
  • Options
    Hiya Charlie, thanks for the congrats...it seems so sureal at the moment!

This is not my first, i forgot to mention i have got 2 boys aready, they are 6 yrs and 3 yrs old.

I am alittle paranoid that last month is going to repeat itself, i'm trying to stay optimistic. I'm trying not to tell many people this time around. Just family and close friends, those who know that i've had to have blood tests and such. Keeping all my fingers,toes...whatever else is possible to cross for this scan next week. I'll keep you posted.

Leanne xx
  • Options
    Wow! congrats to you! sounds very confusing to me tho! Is it poss you were having twins the first time round and one of them was hiding? Ne way however it's happened your def pregnant now so enjoy! Will be interesting to see when your due date is so you can try and work out when you fell preg? X
  • Options
    Just had a wee read at what you have been going through it sounds like a bit of a confusing nightmare. Congratulations!!! Bet your over the moon, hope the scan goes well! Nic x
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your congrats, Scan is on Thursday, so hopefully things will be a little clearer.

Sarah21, i dont think i was pregnanct with twins the first time round and one survived, although my mum did ask as my auntie went through that. I phoned the midwife back and asked her out of curiosity what my hcg levels were and they started off at 200and something and shot up to 600 and something 48hrs later, so it's very early.....it's only been 4 weeks since i had my d&c.

Leanne xx
  • Options
    Just a quick update for those who have been reading my thread. Ny scan went ok last week, is very early though and all they could see was the sac and the yolk sac. Got another scan next Thursday(4th oct) hopefully will see a baby by then, they think i'm about 4/5 weeks.

Leanne