Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships

breastfeeding- nursing strike

Has anybody had any experience of their baby having a nursing strike who then returns to breastfeeding? On Monday, at 8 months to the day my daughter who has been fully breastfed (still on 6-7 feeds a day but also on 3 solid meals) refused to feed and is still refusing now. She screams and pulls away when I offer the breast to her. The reasons are possibly either or both that she bit me when she went on that last time and I reacted loudly as although she has done it quite a bit in the past it was a surprise as she hasn't bit me for a month or so. She is also unwell at the moment with a sore throat and after seeing the gp on Tuesday has been on ibuprofen and antibiotics.
I have expressed when she would usually feed to keep my supply up and am exhausted as well as worrying about her. She has never had a teat (and refused one yesterday) so has been taking expressed milk in a cup but only a few ounces. I am taking her back to the gp today but want to know if anyone has had any similar experience.

I am obviously also upset that she won't feed from me as I had planned to continue until at least a year. I am trying skin to skin contact, sharing baths, lots of cuddles etc. Any other advice?

Thanks
Alison

Replies

• sounds like ur doing everything hun, so cant think of any advice, it may be just that she is feeling ill, lots of babes go off their milk when ill breast or bottle.
    is she having other fluilds? im sure she will be back to feeds when she feels a bit better hun, good luck and hope she gets better soon. xx
  • guess this is a v late reply. How r things now????????
  • Hi Bex

After what seemed like the longest 6 days in history we finally got Abigail back to the breast and 2 weeks later she feeds exactly the same as she did before this nightmare time as if if never happened.
    I, on the other hand am still recovering! I expressed 18 oz daily for the entire 6 days as well as caring for a sick little girl whose nappies were getting drier and drier as she took less and less fluids. We tried everything to get fluids into her and out of deperation tried a teat which she refused. The only thing that worked with any success was a cup although there was lots of spillage.
    Meanwhile I kept going with the skin to skin contact and tried not to feel upset each time I offered her the breast and she refused.
    I felt that I needed to give her the opportunity to return once she was better as I 'd read that fully breastfed babies under 1 rarely stop feeding that suddenly. By the Sunday evening I was so tired from constantly expressing. Abigail had cried for ages (she rarely cries usually) and just seemed unhappy. She had fallen asleep on my chest in bed and when she woke my husband played this flying game where he would fly her through the air and land her with her mouth on my nipple! We did this several times making it a fun game and she would open her mouth then one time he just left her there and as she knelt she just began sucking and fed for 1hr 5 mins!!!
    Each time she came off she opened her mouth so widely and went straight back on as if she never wanted to come off again. It made me feel so happy!
    Obviously I was still nervous for the next few days but she has never refused a feed since.

I am so glad that I persevered. The following day I think every thing caught up with me and I felt quite unwell but it was all so worth it and I am still so happy to have her back! xx
  • I can imagine. Leah has been tot breast fed except for the odd occasion when she stays overnight with d grandparents. Recently we went to Barcelona for 4 days and even tho i took the pump my milk dwindled and when we returned she was desperate for d breast but I didn't have enough to satisfy her and had to top up with a bottle for d first time in 9mths. I felt really really bad. Fortunately because she fed regularly upon our return the milk volume returned within a day or two. But I tot understand how u felt! Its such a loving and bonding experience to breast feed.
  • Ps do u think it was cause she was sick,,,,,,? or maybe cause u cried out n she got a fright? occasionally Leah bites just a little,but not much and when I scream she laughs d little git! hehehehe love her butimage
  • Hi you did really well to get your supply back how much did you express while you were in Barcelona? You obviously have lots of milk available! Yes I do think it was because she was sick which is probably why she wouldn't take a teat either because she just didn't want anything. I don't think it was my reaction when she bit me because I have screamed much louder before and it hasn't stopped her feeding and she is like your lo that when I say "NO" she looks at me and laughs so much!
  • How naughty ! heheheeh I have no idea how much i expressed,but only 2-3 times a day. where as Leah still feeds at least 6-7times. Plus its not as good with pump as comp baby etc. Leah has been sick all this week and has been off solid food a bit but ok with breast at least!
  • Hi Just read your story and really felt for you.I had one night of this with my little one and it feels awful when they don't want the breast.I think my little one was ill maybe.

Well done for carrying on with it it can be hard going when they are poorly.
    I just wanted to add that I go on the website
    www.breastfeeding.co.uk and get excellent advice and info in case you ever need any help in the futurewww.breastfeeding.co.uk
  • Thanks MelanieM I still get a bit nervous that it might happen again and am still really grateful that she is back to normal feeding now. Long may she carry on feeding!! How old is your lo? x
  • Hi Arg my lo is 6 months old and has been poorly all over xmas with a virus.I have come down with it today - its hard work when you do all the feeding isn't it!!..You did really well getting your little one back on the breast well done !!.