Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

heartbroken

hey ladies

well i have been in hospital for the last two days visiting my uncle in ICU and praying he will recover. unfortunatly he passed away just before 3pm yesterday afternoon. its the hardest thing i have ever done in my life saying goodbye to someone i love with all my heart. i have always been very close to him and its heartbreaking. i cant get over the shock of losing him, cant stop crying and thinking about him. My nan had to agree to turn off his life support so we all knew it was coming but its happend so fast, we all thought he would pull through yesterday only to be called in today to say our goodbyes.

im so devastated i really want him back with us now! i cant believe he is gone and i will never see him again. i didnt get to speak to him before he died as he was heavily sedated from yesterday morning. i miss him so much already. How do you get past something like this?

im also 6 weeks pregnant and just feel like i cant even think about this baby at the moment, i know it sounds horrible and i really want this baby but i already have so much on my mind at the moment and my 10 month old son to run around after. I feel so guilty as ive barely had a thought for my unborn child in the last few days and my mum keeps saying as one life ends another begins... but i dont want my uncles life to be over, i cant accept it.

charlie x

Replies

• Options
    oh sweetie!

what a horrible shocking time for you! please dont feel bad for not thinking about this baby - you are still early, and have had a terrible shock, so the baby is a bit in the shade at the moment. he wont know tho - as long as he is growing etc, it wont matter a jot to him (her) at the moment!

just concentrate on yourself and the family that are here with you at the moment - as time passes, you'll get back to your baby!
  • Options
    Hi hon,

You poor thing, what a cruel turn of fate to believe he'll pull through only to find that's not the case.

Don't beat yourself up about your lack of thoughts for your unborn baby, you can only process so many thoughts at any one time and, understandably, yours are with your grief right now. Just try to stay healthy.

I remember being pregnant with my son and getting a call to say my nephew had been rushed to hospital. I remember plea bargoning in my head with 'the powers that be' about my nephew not dying even if it meant giving up my baby! It sounds ridiculous now but I had/have a close bond with my nephew and at that time my son was unborn. My nephew was fine and I now have a healthy little boy.

What I'm trying to say is you are going to go through such a range of emotions, and that's normal, but babe you can't have him back.

He is in a place of peace now, try to find some peace in that. Death doesn't hurt the dead; just those who are left behind so give yourself time...

Sending massive hugs (sorry if I've rambled on a bit, it's early) xxx
  • Options
    Im so sorry for your loss, i lost my mum 5 years ago and like your uncle she was heavly sedated before she went which was very difficult. I dont think you ever get over losing someone but it does get a little easier over time. Just give yourself time to grieve. I found my little boy to be the best tonic in keeping my mind occupied and helping through a difficult time. xxxx
  • Options
    thank you all for your replies, i already have a 10 month old baby boy so he has helped me no end! i sometimes wish i was his age, no worries at all! he has made me laugh a couple of times in the last few days which helps.
    charlie x