Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

miscarriage

Hi I had a miscarriage this week. I was 7 1/2 wks. I had been 'spotting' for a week but it got worse until Wednesday night when I got what felt like really bad period pains. I rang the hospital to ask advice and they were kind and said I could go in the next day to be checked over if I felt I needed to..approx 30 minutes later I miscarried. It has really shocked me how bad I feel because I have heard of women miscarrying when they go to the toilet but I didnt quite make it and it fell on the floor. The part I cant stop thinking about is that I had to pick it up and put it in the toilet. I rang the hospital to tell them and they asked if I had kept the 'product' as they could check that everything was there. I felt horrible that I had flushed 'my baby' down the toilet and thats all I can think of at the moment...I wish they had told me this the first time I rang so I would have been prepared. I just get so upset to think that I have flushed my baby down the toilet. Sorry to be so graphic but I need to know if this was the normal thing to do. Thanks

Replies

• I'm sorry I cant help you with your question as I m/c in hospital at 16 weeks but I just wanted you to know that my thoughts are with you at this difficult time. There is a great support network here so anytime you need to talk we here. xx
  • Hi Christine....so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sorry but I cant answer your question either. I m/c in July of last year but had a d&c . All I can say is that you done what you thought would be the right thing to do....I'm annoyed at your hospital for not warning you that this may happen and to have given you some advise on what to do. Just want you to know that you are not alone and that if you ever need to chat you know where we are. When you are feeling up to it take a look through the m/c you are not alone pages, I have met some great people there who have all been through the same things and without them I dont think I would have coped as well as what I did. Thinking of you and your hubby, take care Beth xx
  • Hi Christine, don't torture yourself over what happened. I miscarried in November - I was 6 weeks that day, and I felt strange, I couldn't put my finger on it but when I went to the toilet it was obvious what was happening, and apart from using sanitary towels, most of what I lost went down the toilet. I know it's not the same as what happened to you, but at the time you just do what your instinct tells you and I would of done exactly the same thing. I know how awful you must be feeling and it's bad enought having to cope with whats happened withou torturing your self. Wishing you lots and lots of love Claire xx
  • Hi Thank you all for your support. I'm feeling a lot better today. I have spoken to friends who know people who have miscarried and similar (or worse) has happened to them. I'm going to do what someone else mentioned in this chat room which is to plant a tree in the garden in rememberence. I suppose its just a case of taking time to come to terms with it, but I do feel a lot better than I did. Thank you. xx
  • hi christine just wanna say im sorry and that i have to agree with claire 100% ive had 3 m/c now and 2 ended up the same way and 1 the hospital said theyd keep for research (as it happened while i was having an internal) it hurts too much if you think about things too much so best not to dwell if you can help it. hope it gets easier for you soon.. if you wanna chat anytime just shout. hugs becky. x x x
  • Hi Christine, glad your feeling a bit better. I found it so helpful to speak to people on here, as nobody was condesending, banging on about statistic which is the very last thing you want to hear! You just look after yourself and take time to come to terms with things. I am thinking of you, xxx
  • Hi
    Sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I had one at christmas after 12 weeks, I fished the product out of the toilet and my husband made me throw it away. It almost makes you feel like you should bury it. It does get easier and what's helped me is that it was only a collection of cells. Hope this helps and you're feeling better.
  • Christinedt,
    I am so sorry for your loss, I had a m/c at 7 weeks but I started bleeding the day before I was going for a scan, and then I was offered an d&c so I took that option. I wish you all the best of luck and take care of yourself.
    I have heard of lots of people flushing it down the toilet so you are not the only one doing that...
    You have got to do what feels right for you at the end of the day..

Anna
  • Hi Christine, i felt just like you in that i had flushed my baby away, its a horrible thing to have to do and come to terms with, but everyone here on this site is so friendly and helpful, your never without someone who can try and cheer you up. Take care of yourself and hope you start to feel a bit better soon, Love Gems x
  • when i had my first m/c 21 years ago i was in the hospital and i lost it in the toilet i was 16 and frightened so i flushed it away the nurse asked where it was and when i told her she wasnt too pleased but in my head i jut couldnt let them take my baby and do tests on it i wanted it to be at peace i had another m/c in jan and lost it in my toilet i was sad but i said goodbye to my baby as i flushed the chain it is everybodies personal choice in what they do there are no answers of what is right and what is wrong we just have to deal with it in our own way im sorry if this is no help but please dont beat yourelf up love anita take care x x x