Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Colposcopy and treatment

Hi!

I had a colposcopy in November after an abnormal smear, and had treatment - loop diathermy - at the same time to remove the cells. I then got pregnant about a month later - so am now 12 weeks.
I have since read - in a pregnancy mag - that it can cause problems in that the cervix can be weakened and can cause premature birth.
(In addition, I have read that previous terminations can cause the cervix to be weakened causing it to dilate prematurely as the baby gets bigger. I have had 2 terminations (10 years ago and 4 years ago).)

I have since been worrying 24 hours a day!
I would be REALLY grateful if anyone who has had the treatment and has been pregnant could give me their advice and experiences.
I'm v scared.

Replies

• Options
    Hi Deesco, I had a colposcopy a few years back for the same reason as you. I also have a boucing healthy baby girl now 13 weeks old!

I have not heard about terminations having that effect on the cervix, surely if that were true how come the cervix doesn't weaken with a full term pregnancy and delivery, putting future pregnancies at risk? I have had a previous pregnancy that I had to end early at 14 weeks due to the baby having a fatal defect, (they induced labour rather than an erpc) however I went on to conceive my little girl 5 months later and carried her with no problems (apart from the obvious worry!). So as you can see I had a colposcopy and a termination followed by a perfectly normal, healthy pregnancy.

I know it is easier said than done, but please try not to worry, you have reached 12 weeks which is a milestone in itself! I am happy to chat anytime and offer advice where I can. Take care xxx
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply, starfly. I'm glad everything went well for you this time.

It had crossed my mind that full-term labour would be a bit more 'intrusive' than termination, for the cervix, if you know what I mean. I think I should stop reading so much!

thanks again, you have helped put my mind at rest a bit.

xx
  • Options
    Hi deesco, i had the same thing as you and had my treatment in feb. also had a termination in november last year and one in 1988. I am currently 6 weeks pregnant with my 4th child, due end of december. I read somewhere that large loop excision does not affect th strength of the cervix, but I understand where you are coming from as i feel a little nervous too. Thanks starfly for putting our minds at ease a little. x laura
  • Options
    I have had the same last year and when I checked with my consultant and he assured me that having this procedure would not affect having a child. try to stay positive, if your concerned contact your doctor/consultant to discuss it further.