Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships

I have to have an amnio on the 16/01/08-so worried!

hi,

I have decided to have an amnio on the 16th and i'm so very worried, I lost my 1st baby at 6 weeks then my
son at 21 weeks of pregnancy his post mortem came back and i found out that he had a chromasomal disorder called triploidy this is where a baby has three complete copies every chromasome, it was very heart breaking for both me and my husband so you can understand my concerns. i recently went for my nuchal scan and they measured the fluid at the back of my babys neck and because i was at the top end of the risk scale once calculated my consultant advised me to go ahead due to last time. i was just wanting some support from anyone who has had to have one in the past and views on there experiences. thanks anyone who replies.

[Modified by: Gravie on 07 January 2008 17:51:27 ]

Replies

• Sorry I have never had one but i just wanted to wish you good luck i hope everything turns out ok for you, please let us know.
    Hugs xx
  • Try going on the pregnancy or trying for baby forum,maybe they might be able to help. Big hugs to u and good luck.
  • I came across your post whilst scanning through the support page and I had an amnio test last year.

I had my triple blood test carried out at 15 weeks, on the same day as I had my first scan (I switched health authorities so I was late in getting a dating scan). Two weeks later, on the day before my birthday, I found a letter saying that my test results were ok apart from the Down's test, which gave me a risk factor of 1:85. As you can imagine, I was sh*****g myself at that point!!!! The letter said that I had an appt for the next day (my 31st birthday of all days!!!!!) to attend the local hospital to speak with the screening co-ordinator about my options etc.... After much research on the internet, and not much sleep, I went to the hospital and had a long talk with the screening co-ordinator (who was absolutely fantastic). I decided to have the amnio there and then to get it over and done with. I then had a scan which showed that I was having a mild "contraction" (bizarre I know!) which meant they couldn't do the test straight away, so they sent hubby and I off to have a cuppa (which I was in dire need of!!). Went back, scanned again, and off we went. I had an injection of local anaesthetic before the amnio needle went in and I found that the local anaesthetic hurt more than the amnio needle. It was a feeling like someone really nipping my skin which only lasted for a second or two. When the amnio needle went in, I found it didn't hurt. Hubby was watching everything on the scan screen, holding my arms out of the way (so that I didn't touch my stomach which had been wiped sterile), whilst I laid there stock still, just concentrating on breathing!!! It only took a couple of minutes, yet felt like hours. Afterwards, I know it sounds strange to say this, but I felt as though a weight had then been lifted off my shoulders. I'd made the decision to have the test, it had been done, and I just needed to wait for the results. That weekend was a very long weekend for hubby and I, but we got the results on the monday that everything was fine, and they were able to confirm the sex of the baby (even though he'd decided to show us himself when I was scanned immediately after the amnio test!!!). My experience was two fold in a way.....crap at having to have the test and the worry that goes with it, but at the same time, the staff who I came into contact with that day were absolutely fantastic and very supportive (as was hubby who spent the whole weekend running after me and making sure I took things easy etc...)

It's not a nice thing having to go through something like an amnio, I was absolutely petrified, but fortunately, everything was okay. I hope that on the 16th, you get the same support that I had, and that everything goes okay for you.

All the best, and I'll be thinking of you all, and let us know how you get on.

Lots of hugs,

Andrea and George :\)
  • Hi Gravie,just want to wish you luck on weds and to let u know im thinking of you and ur in my prayers. X
  • Just read your post and I hope everything goes ok tomorrow.
  • Hope everything went ok the other day. Lots of hugs xx
  • my friend had a 1:7 chance of downs after nuchal scan. She had cvs as was only 12 weeks. This came back fine. Baby is nearly 3 now!!! These tests can be wrong. Lots of March mummies on this site had high risk of DS and when they had amnio it was all fine and well.
    Hope it went well for you and that the results come back with the news you long to hear!