Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is there anyone who is pregnant and suffers with epilepsy?

Hi all. Could really do with a sympathetic ear. I'm 26wks pregnant, and throughout my pregnancy, and before getting pregnant, me and my husband have been aware of the possible risks of having a baby, born to a mother with epilepsy. To cut a very long chapter short, I had the AFP and Downs blood tests at 15wks, which gave me a personal ratio of 1 in 200,000 of having a child with Downs, or Spina Bifida, which I considered positive. The thing that upsets me now though is that each time I go to the hospital I am constantly reminded that the medication I take (sodium valproate 800mg per day) is quite risky in causing abnormalities...which absolutely frightens me to death. I've had a referral to see my neuro consultant this week, and I know that she will go over the same thing yet again. To me the risks of changing my medication far outweigh the benefits to the baby of changing to "a less risky medication" (lamotrigine has been recommended instead), in that a change will probably cause me to have seizures. The last time I had one I was in the bath and went unconcious and stopped breathing, and the thought of that happening whilst pregnant doesn't bear thinking about. But when the hospital insist on bringing it up every single time I see them, it makes me think "what if I am harming my baby", which is very upsetting, as I love my baby so much already. If there is anyone else out there going through a similar dilemma, I'd love to hear from you. claire xxxxx

Replies

• Hi ellieisaac

I think you either change medication at the beginning or not at all your so far now it seems odd you only had a referral this week to see the neuro consultant. When you had your 20 week scan that would have shown any abnormalities, have you been able to read any of the reseach undertaken on pregnancy and the medication you are taking? I think if they change your medication this late in the day you should be in hospital for the first week under the consultants watch. Keep me posted.
  • thankyou, thankyou, thankyou. It's so wonderful to speak with another pregnant woman, instead of doctors and concerned family. in reply to your question my 20wk scan was fine, Im having a boy!!, and i'm having another scan in 2wks (growth scan), so fingers crossed for that. thanks again xxx
  • Hiya, as Bristol said, they should have picked anything up on your 20wk scan. Changing medication is entirelty your choice, and if you wouldn't feel comfortale changing then maybe it would be best for you not too. By the way, welcome to the site as well!xx
  • Thats great news that the scan was fine babies are tough little things my midwife said to me. I have my 20 week scan on 26 March I'm nervous but can't wait to find out the sex. I'm going to save for one of those 4D scans maybe you should to you get to see everything really clearly and exactly what their face looks like and a DVD to take home and drive everyone mad with!
  • Suzaie - your baby is beautiful. Made me quite emotional god these pregnancy hormones I can't believe I'll have one in August!
  • Thank you! He is gorgeous, but I am biased! He was only 3 weeks in that pic, he's 17 weeks now. W're going to be in the next edition of the mag, so everyone can see what a porker he is now!!!!
  • Oh how exciting. I will keep an eye out for him what's the article I need to look for if he looks very different? Not sure I'd be brave enough to have my photo in there when you said we I take it you are as well? I'm camera shy but it will be great to show him when he's older.
  • hi suzaie, thanks for the advice. Your baby is gorge!!!! Hope mine is as cute as him.
  • Yes I'm in it too, it will be like beauty and the beast! He looks like a different baby now, I had to get my boyf to take about 20 pics before I was happyish with one. It's only a few lines in the mum online section, about my c section. We made a memory box when he was born so I will put a copy of it in there.