Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Smoking

My hubby started smoking again beginging of last year after some difficult times at work (he gave up when we met 7 years ago as i said i wldnt date a smoker) He only eva smoked outside as he knew i hated it. i tried to encourage him to give up when we were ttc as was worried about his soliders but he didnt although he promised he wld by time babe was born. am now 32 weeks n he gave up last thursday, I know i should be really pleased and i keep telling him how well he is doing but he has become so irritable from nicotine withdrawl. it doesnt help im feeling all hormonal so taking things a bit more personally. anyone know how long it takes to get over nicotine dependance or have any ideas how i can put up with him lol. thanks xx

Replies

• Hiya, well done to your hubby for trying, just always remember that regardless if he gives in to his cravings again, every time he tries to give up is one step forward in the right direction so ensure you're always supportive and praise him! I'm an ex-smoker, when I was pregnant with my daughter 11yrs ago I gave up just like that, no prob. This time when I found out I was pregnant in October 2006 I gave up just like that no prob. But in between it was real difficult! Altho I seem to have had the will power whilst being pregnant I tried to give up 4 times before and the longest I lasted was about 7 months. Everyone is different and as such, nicotine dependence is different on each individual. One thing to bare in mind is that if he caves in once and has that one cigarrette, make sure you get it into his head (in a nice way!) that it doesnt mean hes failed and has to go back to smoking, he can just try again. One to one stop smoking sessions on NHS helped for me alongside nicotine patches, they explain in huge detail the effect and addiction of smoking - i.e. prefereably relax off the alcohol as this weakens the part of the brain which gives us rational thought and so, will lead to a cave in to smoke, the environments you go to like pubs etc..... if its gonna be difficult better to refrain from those places initially until you feel strong enough (at least smoking will be banned in all pubs, bars, restaurants etc from July!). Its great that you're not a smoker as neither is my OH so that really helped in one respect but in the other, being a non smoker means that you dont actually understand how difficult it is to give up - think about the one thing you love or crave for (whether it be chocolate, wine, a certain food, etc...) and try and give that up! In fact, perhaps make a challenge out of it with your hubby, ask him what one thing would he like you to give up and then do it together, him with the smoking and you with that one thing. We all know how competitive men can be so use that edge to help him! And if hes done it once before for so long, deep down he knows he can do it again! image
  • im in the same position,when i found out i was pregnant 1st time round i didnt quit,and i felt really bad.this time round though i managed to do it ,nearly 4 months now.my partener went to the doctors on friday to get help to stop,they have given him patches and an inhaler.its only been 2 day but hes doin well,he was told not to stop straight away,cut them down gradually,so he has 5 aday.i would suggest just try not to make a big thing out of it.they say it takes 72 hours to get the nicotine out of ur system.
  • has he been tot he GP to get patches?? i was on the verge of murder when I quit 3 years ago untilk I got some. They took the edge off & calmed me down. Patches are on prescription if you join your gp's stop smoking campaign.
  • Hey thanks for all your advice, will ring gp and ask about support, I guess as I have never smoked i dont realise how difficult it is. Eva247 I think hubby will like the idea of me giving up something as your right about men and competition. elouize congrats on you giving up and good luck to your partner. take care xx
  • i gave up smoking nearly 2 years ago after trying a million times, used tablets called zyban think they are banned now (not sure) but there are newtablets out now, they just make you not want to smoke if they work like zyban then i recommend them, i prob wouldnt have stopped otherwise, well done for supporting him my oh always said that i would prob fail and i think thats why i never could do it before, you could tell him to see about the tablets dont know what they are called. good luck
  • Hi doublebubble, How's your husband doing now? my husband 'gave up' a couple of weeks ago but still insisted on having an 'evening fag' which turned into a few more 'odd fags' then he started buying a small 10-pack (still insisting that he's given up) now within 2 weeks he's on 20 a day again!! Grrrrr! I was on 20 a day before I fell and the moment i got a blue line i quit, it's not easy, trust me, even when you're doing it for your unborn child. But thats what spurs you on. and hopefully both our husbands will see the wider picture.
  • Hey all thanks for advice. Hubby is doing really well, I have given up cream eggs which he thinks is hilarious but i am finding really hard so i think i understand what he is going thru a bit more. he had one lapse which was when i was taken into hospital as he said he was so worried but the m/w were so pleased at his attempt it really encouraged hubby to continue. so fingers crossed. hope everyone else is getting on ok? xx
  • hi there,

I stopped smoking 6 years ago with the help of the fantastic book 'the easy way to stop smoking'. The really good thing about the book is that it encourages you to smoke while you read, and only tells you to stop when you're ready. When you do stop, you feel in control and you are equiped with what to do if you do find yourself wanting a cigarette.

I replaced my smoking with eating apples and when I had enough of apples I stopped that too and NEVER looked back. The book works so well because it doesn't try to tell you all the usual health stuff that any smoker already knows, it just talks to your common sense on why smoking is such a rediculous habit.

The one thing though - don't buy the book for someone else - get them to buy it. I know it sounds odd, but by going out and getting the book they already make a step forward to stopping. If you buy the book for them, they don't have the chance to go through the decision that the book could help. Sound odd, but it's true!

Good luck and your husband / other readers can really do it - the other good thing with the book is that when you stop, you really do. The moods and craving don't come back, because you are in control!

Hope this helps and good luck once again!
  • hi doublebubble is your hubby still off the fags i gave up when found out was preg but had m/c so started again i am now ttc so have quit to see if it helps i am using the gum its horrible tastes like a dirty ciggy butt though i must say it has stopped me wanting to smoke lol
  • I gave up no problem with my first (16yrs ago), with my 2nd (10yrs ago) i just couldnt do it, i tried all the way through my pregnancy but couldnt do it, i gave up the day i gave birth but then after depression 3yrs after i started again, and then 3 yrs ago i had a cancer scare and my family went through hell i vowed i'd give up then and i did with the help of a pill from my GP. This time round its my husbands turn, he said he was going to give up when i got pregnant but 19 weeks in and he still aint anywhere near trying, the smell actually makes me feel sick but i know from experience how hard it is. I've told him that if he wants to continue smoking he best get used to smoking outside in the cold & i keep reminding that his mum died of cancer so he should really think hard about giving up. Maybe he'll give up the day the baby's born like i did last time.....we'll see
  • Sorry for jumping onto this thread guys, but I feel the need to get things off of my chest....

Basically when I met my wife (3???? years ago) I knew she was a smoker, and was trying to give up. She has tried on many occasions to stop (for which I have been supportive and also praised her), but after a while she will start smoking again. Usually when she starts again, it's kept a secret and hidden from me best she can.

Everyone knows that it is almost impossible to hide the fact that someone smokes, no matter how hard they try. For the fear of a big argument, I don't say anything at first, but eventually feel compelled to say something. At which point the fact she smokes is denied, soon followed by her continuing to smoke, but me knowing about it. It was never easy, but I guess I sort of lived with it. She had the longest success, when she got a prescription for nicorette lozenges.

Last December, just before Christmas we found out that my wife was pregnant and the news was fantastic for both of us. The baby was planned and we both couldn't have been happier. At the time, I remember her saying that as she was pregnant, that was it, she would give up

As far as I know she did, and has done since then, but unfortunately, I am 99% sure that she has started again. I'm not angry with her, but I am disappointed that she again is hiding it from me and probably her work colleagues as well.

Not having been a smoker myself, I can't imagine how difficult it is to give up, and also being pregnant, she is possibly embarrassed to ask anyone for help.

The 20 week scan is not all that far away now, but I just don't know how to be any more supportive than I already am, and also how to bring this out in the open without there being denial again, and possibly nothing being done about it.

I know she needs to want to give up, and I can't make her do it, but with her now being pregnant with our first child, I can't sit back and not say anything about it.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

[Modified by: Dave W on March 12, 2007 05:29 PM]
  • hi dave i think the best thing to do is to just come straight out with it tell your wife that your not angry because as i said i have just given up it is really hard and if your wife is maybe a bit stressed it may be the way she copes but if you just talk to her and let her know that you really would like her to quit at least till she has had the baby explain to her your fears for her and the baby . i must admit that i find it quite funny that she denies smoking because the smell itself is a big giveaway i have only recently quit and kissing my fella the other day was like kissing an ashtray sorry if this is no help at all anita
  • AH DAVE, i feel sorry for u bein in the position ur in.

I to smoked until i found out i was pregnant & the day i found out i stopped with no questions asked. I yerned to have a baby & thats what made me think to myself that i do not want to be the cause of losin my own baby or it havin a low birth weight. Although even now when i feel stressed the 1st thing i want to do is want to smoke but i never do.

Mayb u should talk about the effects smokin has on babies in side the womb & see how she reacts. Its hard to tell a woman what they should & shouldnt do bcos we have r own mind & wont listen.

See if there is anythin botherin her or is she stessed about somethin & hasnt told u about it? There must b a reason for her to still be smokin bcos there is no greater reason to quit than being pregnant.

Try to express ur concerns in the nicest way possible cos us woman r emotional more so in pregnancy.

Good luck with ur wife & baby*

[Modified by: tess1 on March 12, 2007 05:47 PM]

[Modified by: tess1 on March 12, 2007 05:48 PM]
  • Thank you for your replies, Anita & Tess.

My wife works in a job that I know can be stressful sometimes, if not most of the time. That could well be a reason or indeed the only reason why she has started again. It could also be nicoteen withdrawl, but I just don't know.

Either way I know I need to talk to her about it, but I know it will be just like the last few times, possibly even worse because she's pregnant and definately doesn't want me to know she's smoking.

I could just leave it until the 20 week scan (in a couple of weeks time), and just say something in front of the midwife. Trouble is I'm not that cruel and it would probably be worse than me saying something to my wife about it now.

I'm tempted to leave a note where she keeps her packet, explaining how I feel and that she is not alone etc. That's probably not the best move, but it will get my side across and will allow her to read it in peace, rather than having a big arguement over it.

Dave
  • please dont say anything in front of the midwife cos your wife will think you are ganging up on her it may make it worse leaving a note where her ciggies are will at least let her know that its not a secret letting her know you understand the pressures she is going through right now and want to be there for her may help her because her hiding the fact that she smokes is probably stressing her too good luck to you both anita
  • Hi Dave, that is a good idea or even send her an email. or even a lovely card. Just know that we r over emotional when pregnant & put it in the nicest way possible. All the very best with baby, good luck with the wife*
  • hi dave have you managed to talk to your wife yet please let us know how you get on thanks x x x