Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Mother-In-Law

Hi ladies,
Just wanted to come on here for a bit of a moan, and to see what you think-if I'm being unreasonable...
My MIL is lovely, never ever had a problem with her until recently. She has my 15 month old son once a fortnight to enable me to work, for which I'm very grateful.
But my problem is this... I feel she doesn't respect my wishes as his mother. She feeds him what she wants to, not what I give her. She feeds him biscuits when I've made it clear I'd rather he didn't have too much sugar-I put fruit in his lunchbox for goodness sake! We rock him to sleep in the buggy when he needs a nap, and I found out last week that she doesn't. She just lays him in it and leaves him. She ALSO draws the curtains which I'd rather she didn't because he needs to know the difference between day sleep and night sleep.
She feeds him off her plate at dinner time, even though he has his own plate, and I'm feeding him.
Can't ask her about it, and hubby WON'T. It's causing a riff between me and hubby.
When she babysits, she doesn't ring if he's very upset, like I ask her to everytime. She only tells us when we pick him up. My mum rings us... Can see why she doesn't ring i.e letting us enjoy time off, but surely that's my decision to make, not hers?? Am I being unfair?
It's causing tension with me and hubby-had HUGE row last Sun, and he's still being off with me a week later!
Help!!! Thanks x x

Replies

• Firstly HELLO HUN! where have you been? the November ladies are all on facebook now, do you use it? it would be great to have you over there too, so many have went on and had another baby since [not me!]
    Anyway, i have to say i look after my sisters baby and she rocks him to sleep and i refuse to. I have told her i dont have time for that and if i didnt do it with my own child i wasnt going to start doing it with hers. She is ok with this and he goes down to sleep awake for me no problem and she is still having to rock him to sleep at home.
    But as for the rest of it i think your totally right, he needs to know the differance between dat and night and how bloody dare she feed him biscuits when you dont want her to.
    I would tell her outright that your not happy and that if she dosnt ring you etc when there is a problem that you will have to put him with a childminder that will. He is your child and your only concern so bugger what she thinks! if she is so worried about not getting to keep him then she will do as you ask and if not then i would remove him from her as she clearly dosnt care.
    Big hugs hun, your hubby will come round but men are stubborn and always seem to find the good in their mothers even if there isnt any to be seen! xxxxxxxxxx
  • I am indeed on Facebook, Louisa Vaughan, Brighton and Hove. You? I can't even comtemplate having another one yet, although so so so broody! Just about to get my career back on track, so can't get pregnant for at least another 9 months...
    Lovely to hear from you.
    My MIL is lovely, but I just find it so frustrating that I can't ask her for fear of upsetting her (that and hubby would be angry), and he WON'T ask her... Can't discuss it with him without it turning into an argument .... It'll work out I guess... x
  • Hun i will go and add you now as a friend and then you can join the November mummys , i will send you an invatation as its a closed group so only us on there! Im Diane Gillespie so you know who i am! xxxxx