Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Lomg term effects of Anorexia?

Hi everyone

I've never posted in here before - hope it's ok to just pop in like this.

I've just had my 3rd mc in 6 months, 2 weeks ago tomorrow. I used to suffer from anorexia and even though the doctors keep telling me this isn't the cause of the mc's I can't help but still blame myself some days...I feel guilty even asking for support - like if it is because of the anorexia then I really don't deserve any support.

I was a very low weight around Christmas 2007 but then I worked really hard at the beginning of 2008 to get better and gain weight because we wanted to start a family. We started TTC in April 2008 but have since lost 3 babies. What if I damamged my body so badly that I'll never have children?

I still see a Psychiatrist and he said something the other day that has made me worry again...he said that perhaps I should have some tests because eating disorders can sometimes damage your reproductive organs....Until then I had always been told that any affects from anorexia would prevent you GETTING pregnant, not staying pregnant.

I know I don't deserve support but can anyone please reassure me or tell me they've managed to have children after recovering from anorexia?

Thanks, NN xx

Replies

• Firstly, you deserve as much support, if not more than anyone else. You are grieving for 3 lost babies and it is only right that you are looking for answers.

I have not had anorexia but from what I do know, anorexia can stop you from conceiving initially as your body can shut down what it deams as 'non critical functions' in order to survive. This is why many anorexic women stop having periods or ovulating. You have worked hard since april to take care of your body and are getting pg so this is not the case for you. Babies are resilient things and past anorexia should not stop your body retaining a pregnancy.

People lose babies for lots of reasons, and everybody looks for answers starting with themselves. It is easy to blame yourself but you mustn't. After 3 m/c many doctors will start investigating if there are any problems. Have you spoken to your GP about this sort of investigation?

Well done for continuing to seek help and being brave enough to come on here. I'm sorry I'm not much help.

Stay strong and good luck.
    Jx

• hello hun,
    I hope I don' say this all wrong so please forgive me if it comes out wrong. I believe you deserve more help because you have fought so hard to over come your anorexia, not less. Nobody would question giving extra help to a cancer patient, and having watched two of my close friends go through decades of anorexia I genuinely believe that it is a disease which is incredibly hard to over come. On that note I would like to say how wonderful it is you are managing so well. I wanted to offer some comfort. My best friend suffered from anorexia to the point where she spent 11 years in and out of hospital, and didn't take anything, not water for three years by mouth. She has had an incredibly hard journey to being a mummy to two beautiful baby girls. However that being said she did suffer 5 mc and both her girls were born quite premature, at 32 and 33 weeks. Now at 3 and 2 years old they are happy healthy very bouncy little people. Our other friend's anorexia spiralled out of control while pregnant, but she did carry to 36 weeks, she was only 6 stone 10 lbs when she gave birth but her baby boy while tiny is a healthy six year old now.
    I don't know if this is a better or worse thing to tell you, but I believe there is good reason to have hope that you will have healthy beautiful babies just perhaps your body just needs a little longer to heal. I hope your doctors could give you some answers as many women mc. best wishes and I really hope a year from now you are holding your lo.

Sorry for being so little help.

xx
  • hi hun.

What do you weigh now? (if you don't mind me asking)

I suffered from Annorexia and bulemia from age 15 - 20, now 26 - only last year started to notice my hair had improved (as my hair was falling out and breaking due to the disorder). My weight when ill was around 6.5st - 7st. I've managed to keep my weight around 7.5st for the last 6 years by eating healthily and going the gym (although weight was not the reason for my disorder - it was depression - I never thought I was overweight).

I thought it would be very difficult for me to get pregnant due to that & now having Crohn's (only diagnosed when I was 21 and I believe my past disorder is a reason I now have this) and my past problems inc. an overdose of paracetamol but I found out I was pregnant in October 2008 - and it wasn't even planned! I'd come off the pill in August 2008 as I had been on it for 10 years and was told by gp to take a break. Didn't expect to get pregnant but now i'm 17+5 with twins!! I actually released two eggs to get them so I don't believe my condition has affected my fertility at all.

I would suggest finding out what you bmi and weight should be for your height and age and try and hit it hun.....

Good luck and try and stay positive! xx
  • Thank you ladies for your wonderful support and kind words, I really appreciate it.

J - you were a big help...thank you! Thanks for saying that I deserve help and that it's only natural to look for answers. Sometimes I feel crazy going over everything trying to work out why this has happened 3 times. I always thought the same thing - that anorexia would stop you conceiving. I did loose my periods for a while in 2007 but they've been back and normal since ( before and in between being pregnant and mc'ing). We've started the recurrent mc tests and just have to wait now for the results, which take 3 months. I've decided to work really hard at being super healthy and fit the next 3 months and really look after myself as we've decided to not try again till we have the results. I really need a rest (physically and emotionally) and I know I need to gain some more weight as I've lost a bit since the 3rd mc. Anyway, thanks again xx

hedgie - thank you so, so much for your reply. It didn't come out wrong at all and really did help me! I'm so sorry your friends suffered from anorexia and it is really inspiring to hear that they now have children (despite their difficulties) - it gives me hope. Perhaps you are right that my body just needs more time to heal - it hasn't even been a year since my recovery and becoming a better BMI. Perhaps I just tried to rush too much (wouldn't surprise me - I am very impatient!). We are awaiting recurrent mc test results (will take 3 months) and I'm going to really concentrate on looking after myself and getting even healthier and more fit over the next 3 months as we've decided to not TTC again until we have the results. Thanks again for your kind words and understanding xx

snowangel - thank you so much for your reply and email. I have sent you an email so won't repeat myself here, but wanted to say a big thank you xx
  • Good luck with the tests and make sure you keep on talking - it will only help.

Thinking of you xxx
  • Hi NattyNik

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news image

I have suffered with an eating disorder and as you say, only believe that it prevents pregnancy (as it stops your periods) rather than causes problems 'staying pregnant'.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on if my eating disorder affected my cycles because I have PCOS and very light periods, when I did have them.... I initially conceived while on Clomid, but this pg ended in a mmc, which the docs believe was a molar pregnancy; but there is also a question mark over whether this was 'over diagnosed'.

I really hope that your results come back positive. As upsetting and hard as it may be, I do think you have made the right decision in not trying again until your results come back.... After my mc we were told we may not be able to try again for 2 years in case the mole was cancerous... but thankfully my results were fine and this was reduced to 6 months!

Will keep my fingers crossed for you; keep us updated with your progress image

xx
  • Sorry for your losses, there's always hope for the future.