Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

in-law problems!

they just dont get it, grrr and it makes me MAD!

i have a 4year old son who is such a little character, yet they dont have anything to do with him image we got on well with them until last summer when they called me a bad mum image and my hubby sent them marching, they have never apologised... so after 8months with no contact (even though they stay 5mins down the road) i phoned them and asked if they would like to see there only grandson,. they agreed and things were going fine until now, yet another 4months later they still havent come up to see him image

its breaking his heart not seeing them but i dont want to be the one making the effort with them, especally when they dont seem that bothered! she says i never go and visit her anymore.... when my wee boy was 1st born and until he started nursery last year i took him 2times a week to see them, then he started nursery and the visits got less! she is the one with the free bus pass and the car at the front door, we dont drive and with me being pregnant and finding it hard to walk far, grrrr!!

now with this baby due in 11weeks i dont know what to do, i cant stop them seeing him/her but i dont want to have to put another baby through that heartache!!

any advice??

sorry its so long! x

Replies

• It may sound harsh but u have to issue an ultimatum, they either start seeing ur son on a regular basis now or u'll have to just cut them off completely!! And u are well within ur rights to stop them seeing ur children xx
  • I agree, there needs to be some firm guidelines, it really doesnt matter if its MIl or sister or a friend, if people have contact with your kids they should know the rules.

Tell them what you want/think and if they dont like it then you know they are no good to be round your children......most decent people will comply especially where kids are involved.

Sounds harsh but Ive done it with my MIl and she didnt see them for 6 months due to the fact that I "hurt her feelings!!!!" All I told her was not to give/bring sweets for my three kids EVERYTIME and can she not keep telling the kids "not to tell mummy" when she gives them something they are not allowed! I also had to tell her that I will bring them up the way I want and she needs to accept that...she was a right interfearing old bat(she still is but now I give as good as I get with the mouth now lol!!!)

I wont compromise when it comes to my kids, you shouldnt have to either.

Dont know if this helps any, MIL's are a very touchy subject with me lol!!!