Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pregnant and homeless

Hi, I'm new to this, I signed up today and I really need some advice. I found out I was pregnant a few days ago, 6 weeks gone, It was unplanned and I'm 20 and REALLY scared. At the moment I'm actively looking for work and my boyfriend who works full time live with my sister and her husband, and we have up to 30 days to find somewhere else to live, we cant private rent because my boyfriend has bad credit from the past and we've tried and tried and estate agents won't have us  we can't find anywhere to private rent in our area, and we're on the council housing system and we're Gold Plus at the moment, I don't know if that will change when I give them my 'green card'? We can afford to pay rent and don't need DSS but I don't know whats going to happen and I'm unsure what our options are, I'm really scared about this on top of the shock of finding out and everything else, I just don't know what to do I feel stuck and so upset, Any advice on anything and everything would be really helpful.

Replies

• If you have 30 days to find somewhere then I'm assuming that you have to leave wherever it is you are living now? You would benefit from approaching your local council, in particular their housing/homeless department. In England, all local authorities have to provide free advice about housing/homelessness. If you are homeless within 28 days then you can make a homeless application but you may have to insist on it. If you are actually homeless (i.e. in 30 days time) and you are in a category of 'Priority Need' people (eg. pregnancy) then the local authority have a duty to provide emergency accommodation whilst they investigate how you became homeless. It may not be the best and may even be a B&B but at least you wouldn't be on the streets.
  • If you & your boyfriend are living with family at present then your council may well ask for confirmation as to why you are going to be homeless in a few weeks (i.e. a letter from your relative stating they are evicting you for whatever reason).  The council may wish to talk to your relative on the matter too (whether they can extend the length of time whilst the council find somewhere suitable) so you may need to prepare your relative as to how they might explain things to the council (i.e. not enough space to accommodate your growing family, working shifts so unable to cope with a new baby) which will help in you finding alternative accommodation.  Best wishes & good luck.