Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Leaky roof

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice or opinions please I have two young daughters 3 and 18months we moved down South in September. I'm pregnant early stages 11 weeks. My hubby works long days and has a 50 mile (100 round) Commute each day. The rented house we live in (private through an estate agents) has had a leaky roof since we moved in we told the agency and it's Now febuary and nothing has been done still we have informed local environmental health they issued the landlord with a notice and on that day the landlord said she would get it fixed, that was the 13th December. It's a flat roofed house and the leak is in what should be the kids bedroom. I have the eldest child on a mattress on the floor next to my bed as there's no room for her bed to be put up and she ends up in my bed at night lol. The youngest is in the box room it barely fits her cot bed in. The house is cold I guess because there's no insulation in the roof because it's flat. At the Moment my girls have a constant cough sounds chesty I had the youngest to docs last week she said her throat looked inflamed and to keep an eye on her. The kids bedroom is saturated with water off the roof, it's brown water I have buckets catching what I can but I can't catch it all I'm not exaggerating when I say the smell is vile and the mould is in to the middle of the room now and you can see it's damp with brown patches on the ceiling. I've noticed today a big bubble in the ceiling it's full of water and water is dripping off the ceiling all over. We havnt payed the rent because we don't see why we should. I want to move back up north but hubby obviously needs to find a job up north whichc is proving difficult, I don't really want to rent somewhere else here because we will be tied into a minimum 6 month contract which I don't want. I really want to move back up north and ASAP but is this the right thing to do ? I'm lonely here and really depressed at the state of the house I'm in two minds if to stay here or move. The other problem is hubby's commute is barely affordable and if we were to move closer to his work we wouldn't be able to afford a house to rent Sorry for the long thread I need some help x

Replies

• I would get the council round again your landlord could b breaking the law. I was in a similar situation unfortunately I had to move. Good luck x

• I don't think there's any point. I havnt been paying rent and I can move just need to decide up north or here. Thanks for reply x
  • I think also because the landlord has had different company's out giving quotes it keeps the council off there back x
  • Landlords are tw@s ain't they, they take the piss cuz they know they can ours is the same. Good luck x

• Hi huni i also have this same problem

Iv got an 18 month old and our flat is full of damp and mould we are in a counil place they have been out to see the damp the first week of january and still nothing has been done.

They just dont care! we thought about holding back the rent till they sort it but worried they will kick us out if we do this! im not sure if all the damp had any thing to do with my 2 m/c last year or not.....i hope not as iv been going on about the damp and mould to them since we moved in last march!

I dont think it can doing any good to my sons health and im just looking for some help on what to do! xx

• I know how you feel, it's awful I feel

Guilty because I havnt got anywhere else to live and hate my kids having to live like it. It's so wrong!
  • It is mate in this day and age it shouldn't b allowed to happen. Our boiler just failed it's test on carbon monoxide emissions, the guy cleaned it out but says it's ancient n needs replacing. Naturally landlord n letting agent don't give a toss x

• There needs to be more laws, boilers should be changed for safety!

And roofs should have to be sorted too. I've been told they will fix it in May....