Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What no one prepares you for

Hey so I'm taking to typing because I literally am at my wilts end and ned some sort of release! My beautiful baby girl is 5 months old and she's so perfect and a very happy content little lady. But what I wasn't prepared for was how having a baby effects the dynamics of you relationships with family - especially Inlaws! It's a constant emotional rolercoaster feeling guilt tripped and under-minded,  I have a partner who doesn't stick up for me and Infact seems to stir things up with the mother in law. He works shifts and has a busy social life gym football etc and to be frank I feel quite isolated and doing it all by myself - argh I don't even know where to start! I wish I had someone to talk to about it ????

Replies

• Bless u hun know the feeling love, I'm looking for work but spend all my time at home cooking cleaning n looking after the kids. Climbing the walls x
  • Lowey I can understand some of what you are going through. My husband is good about keep his parents in line, but I often feel like he doesn't realize OUR life has changed as a result of having our wonderful baby girl. He golf's, plays hockey and volleyball 3-4 days/nights per week...exactly what he did before our daughter was born. He works a lot and as much as I understand that it is for our family, we don't need the money that badly. I'm on mat leave now, but we both have really good jobs and money hasn't ever been a big concern for us.

When he's home I encourage him to hold and play with our baby...but he seems to lose interest quickly. When she cries he says I should hold her because "she loves me more". I get it, I spend ALL my time with her, so yes she is attached, but she's smiles when she see's him...clearly she knows and loves him too....

....i seem to have taken over your rant lol
  • I'm charley 17 that's exactly the same situation as me! My fiancé does all the same things before our baby nothing really has changed for him and because he works so much he doesn't get to see our little one much and the odd times I've left her with him for half and hour to nip to the bank or something she gets in a state and he gets in a state too as soon as I come back and pick her up she stops so I get the whole she's doesn't like me thing. It's so hard I'm glad I'm not the only one! Xx

• Funny isn't it how it all changes for us but doesn't seem to for them x
  • I know itnis isn't it! what can you do about it tho! Xx

• It can be so frustrating, but I keep asking him to spend time with her because in the long run its what's best.

I consider myself lucky that I have such a good tempered baby as my first, she generally is only cranky if she's over tired (which happens more then I'd like...she gets so caught up in the world around her that she forgets to sleep), I'm not sure what FH would do if we had a colicky baby