Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Husband Rant

I'm so mad I could burst. We were short on money when LO was born in January, so her nursery wasn't decorated. DH assured me it would be ready before she was 6 months. In the first 5 months we bought everything we needed - paint, gloss, wall paper, paste the works.

DH assured me it would be ready, that was 3 months ago. LO is all most 9 months and she is still in our room!!!

I'm a terrible asthmatic so can't strip wallpaper. Last month I promised him if he stripped the walls then I would gloss and paper. He agreed before complaining he needed a steamer. We bought one, it sat in his Landrover for 5 days before I got mad and put it at the bottom of the stairs, it has been sat there for a week. LO went down for a nap this morning so in anger, I ripped the wallpaper off the walls and started using the the steamer.

I'm now stood covered in dust and flecks of paint, making snacks for my LO whilst reaching for my inhalers. I'm annoyed, frustrated and struggling to work out why my DH is such an ass!

Replies

• Options

Because he is male!!! Honestly its not his fault - his genetic make up is the fault!

I have real memories of my mom doing all the decorating in our house...even taking a sledge hammer to the pantey when she wanted it gone !!

My dad worked hard and was a great man ( at other things) but decorating was alas not one of them - too much testosterone my mum said ! It won't allow for pretty things lol 

As long as your daughter has her needs met dads instincts tell him she's okay, a " pretty room" won't be high on his lists of priority for her I'm afraid

Best to do it bit by but yourself- at least it will be done properly! It's what I and many other wives of men do! Especially when said man is a tad Neanderthal in his tendencies !

• Options

I don't feel asking him to strip the walls is too much trouble though. I walk the dogs, do the clothes washing, the cleaning, the shopping and the cooking. I do this on top of looking after LO and I even fit in baby group two days a week.

I just need the room stripping, he doesn't have to do anything else. I'll be going back to work next month for two days a week, so I want this room doing and I just don't seem to be getting any help at all.

He's a great Dad, he works so hard for us so I don't mind doing all the chores but sometimes he doesn't half frustrate the hell out of me! I'm terrified of water and I don't want LO to be like me so I asked him to take her to a swimming class which he said yes to, I went out and bought everything she would need and it never came off.

I'm just tired :(

• Options

Hi, I meant my reply to be a silly distraction to cheer you up x diddnt mean to offend.

Maybe you could have a calm chat to hubby and let him know how much getting the nursery finished would mean to you.

Or leave a few quotes from local tradesmen on his pillow and ask which one he wants to pay?

Either way you are doing a fab job and maybe he should do a bit more but like I said ....men are dense...they need it spelling out so a calm chat might work 

Good luck x

• Options

Oh I didn't take you that way! It's so hard to convey emotion when your just typing a reply isn't it, you're quite right though tbh. My mum did all the decorating in our house growing up, it does seem like quite a feminine thing to do. I just wish he would pull his weight, maybe me doing everything is making him feel the need to do less? I don't know but you are right, we do need a chat. 

I tend to find I'm quite frustrated with him so he won't listen, men just clam up (Well my man does haha) thank you for replying.

It's lovely that you did and I'm very thankful. Men are quite dense, subtle hints are lost on them :) xox

• Options

I remember my mom coming home with a new handbag and said it was a gift off dad for her birthday, when my dad came in from work I said wow dad - mom really likes her new bag, you picked a good one ! My mom said yes I did, thank you dear lol

She had apparently dropped hints - he missed them all - so had bought it herself, he paid, she said thank you lol

After that my mom said it wasn't worth dropping hints unless they were tied to a brick! It's easier to get it done and tell him what he has bought / paid for lol

It's a running joke in our house that I buy all the cards etc hubby laughs and says " at least if I remind him he won't forget a birthday or anniversary "

As for your situation I think the sweetie, I need to get this problem sorted line will work, ask how and when he wants to do it and drop out that a tradesman would charge a fortune!