Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

New to this need some help

i had a baby 3 weeks ago who was premature, my 7 ur old is acting really jealous and its breaking my heart, I try and involve him, I had my 7yr old in a previous relationship who he sees the time and we have a very Good relationship, this is my partners first baby he has been in Calvins life for 5 years and treata hin like his own,

i think My oldest scratched his face on puprise and looks so unhappy, our baby is premature and takes alot of work, i don't know what to do its awful:( 

Replies

• I bet that feels terrible. I remember when my mum had my little brother and I was little bit older than your son(9), I was the youngest till then.

I loved my little brother but somehow I felt an urge to be jealous for no obvious reason. It's just as a kid you know that the baby needs care and it makes you sad because you know you will be left out in some way.

I got over it in half of year or so, I think it will take time for your son as well. 

You should try to make him give you a hand with the baby like passing you what you need or pretending you need him to watch the baby for a while(not leaving it unsupervised tho of course)and make him feel somewhat included by just having him around when you're feeding or carrying the baby and things like that. You could ask him to show the toys to baby and read to him, whatever you think might be appropriate 🙂