Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

feeling very low about life and

Hi,  just recently my husband lost a close family member and although I want to be there for him I don't get on with his family or should I say they don't like me. We have a 5 year old together and his family have very little time for her. I have become to hate his family because of how they treat my husband and daughter. I have to go to the funeral to support my husband. I constantly feel angry, emotional and annoyed when we discuss his family and end up arguing. I am now getting to the point where I don't want to get up in the morning I just want to sleep and wish for each day to be over with. I don't have many friends and feel I can't talk to any of them about how I feel as I feel pathetic and silly. Has anyone else ever felt like this?

Replies

• Hello j1jo and welcome to MadeForMums.

Sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time, and that you feel you have no one to talk to about this. I bet your friends won't think you're being pathetic and silly, though – loads of people find it hard to get on with their in-laws.

Things must be particularly tricky now, with a death in your husband's family. Everyone will probably be feeling extra emotional and raw. Really hope things become a little easier for you once the funeral is over.

• I don't know your situation so I can't accurately give you advice.  

My Mum didn't much like my Dads side of the family although they are always civil, when my Nan was very poorly before her Death my Mum as usual pretty much stayed away, she did bring some food to my Nans house on her birthday for the family to have a little tea party as we told my Nan we would do, and she attended my Nans funeral to support my Dad.  

On a few occasions my Mum has spoke badly about my Dads side of the family, this has made me really resent her not them.  

Try to talk to your Husband again and really lay it out there - try not to squabble about who said what, try and agree to disagree be there to support him but keep a step back when it comes to his family but don't try to encourage him to Take a step away from them. 

I myself had problems with my ex boyfriends family. The best thing I found was to step away.  Be there when I had to but generally not bother with them, not get into arguments.  Take it on the chin when they were rude and let him come to his own decisions when it came to how badly his family were behaving.  

• Hope your alright xxxx

• Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.