Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

What do I do? Help

Ok so I am a mother to a beautiful little girl who is 1. I had a traumatic birth and have been suffering with postnatal depression, stress and anxiety. My husband had to go on the sick with me to help me with my little girl as I wasn't doing very well. A year on and he is refusing to go back to work because he has gotten into a routine of being on his xbox all day and night and not helping me with the house or LO.

I asked him to go back and he said he would do a phase to work and that was 6 weeks ago and still nothing. The sick pay has run out and we aren't entitled to any benefits as I am a student so we are struggling financially and he just doesn't see it. Its getting to the point where I have insomnia and am so stressed I just wanna hide in bed all day and that's not fair on my LO.

I think I am gonna have to go back to work but I don't think I can trust him to get up in a morning with her. He doesn't go to bed till 6am and then doesn't get up till the afternoon.

What should I do?Help please as this machine and way of life is ruining my marriage.

Replies

• Sit down together & discuss things. What money you have coming in compared to what you have going out. Where the money is going to come from (if neither of you are working, what are your options). The needs of your child (do they wake overnight for toilet/drink, what time do they wake for breakfast, do they attend nursery/childcare, who will take them to playgroup/nursery/appointments, who will prepare breakfast/lunch/dinner, who will manage bath & bedtimes...). 

If he is not going to be the one to return to work then he needs to accept that he will possibly be the one getting up at dawn to make breakfast, the one to wash & dress baby, the one to deal with Drs/Playgroup/Nursery, the one to go shopping, the one to do bath & bed...you can't both stay at home forever & live comfortably, something is going to have to give