Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

I can't seem to get anything right

for weeks now, I've been getting second guessed by certain members of my husbands family, including my husband. my baby is just coming up for 10 months and I've already been giving him some toast which he loves but every time I do this in front of his family his sister freaks out claiming that he's going to choke on it and starts hitting his back when he gags a little bit. I've been ordered by hubs and his sister to stop giving him finger food until he's at least a year old maybe longer. I don't know what to do. apparently I've caused a family feud because I had to remind her that I am his mother. I e also been told that I have him in too much of a routine. I just can't do anything without being told I'm wrong. 

Replies

• Options

Could you maybe ask your HV for a leaflet on baby led weaning which you can hand over to the in-laws...(some babies are taking finger foods at 6mths which is a lot longer than yours & gagging is normal as they learn to chew & swallow...) by 12mths they should be eating a smaller version of what is on your own plate.

• Options

Thanks KazzieM, I spoke to HV and she's going to give me some leaflets. However just phoned my husband and hes hellbent on making me carry on with the pureèd foods until he's a year. It's good to know that he takes advice from someone who doesn't have children before listening to me or the HV. I feel as though I have no support from him at all and I'm constantly fighting fires against him and his family. I think I'll just need to carry on without him having any part of the weaning process Or without him knowing about it. 

• Options

Omg poor you image i would actually freak i it was my husband and his family telling me that about my son! 

My son was been introduced to solids...well purees when he was 4mnths, just small amounts mind, like a spoon of smooth porridge here and there and gradually onto fruits and veggies when he was 5months. I did it because my son was and still is a hungry catipillar 😂 hes almost 2 and is a little foody. I did it also because i know best, im his mother and theres a saying "mum knows best" and i stand by that to be honest, nobody knows your baby better than you and im sorry to say us mums even know better than the daddys sometimes. 

Do NOT feel bad for wanting to give your baby different tastes and solid tastes, at almost a year he should be introduced to more varied diet, taste and texture, alot of HV's will tell you that babies need to be introduced to solids at 6mnths as it helps them obvs to learn to chew but the jaw muscles they use to chew helps in the development of speech, whether it be true or not i dont know, i also think the longer you delay solids the harder you may find it to get him to eat solids as he will of become used to soft puree foods. 

Whatever the case hun stick to your guns you know best and you are his mother not your hubbys family. 

I wish you all the best x x

• Options

Hi hun a family member was a little picky on what they give there child for choking and he now is 10 and will not eat anythink with any bits lumps he borks chewing is a healthy thing and streanthens there musles in there mouth wich also helps with speach stopping him from eating food like that will set him back mayby let your partner go to the hv with you but at the end of the day mum knows best its your child and instinced and if you keep letting them decide for you when will it stop good look hun x

• Options

Sorryheather90 never seen ur post 100% agree with everythink you said x