Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

MIL is making it hard for me to bond with my little girl!

I am at my wits end with my MIL and don't know how much more I can take. My little girl is 21 months and always ask to see her nana and cries everytime her nana leaves the problem is I work full time and when my Mil has her she doesn't want to know me at all when I pick her up if she falls over etc she only wants her nana. Me and my partner moved in with them when she was 6 months due to waiting for out house to be built and when we lived with them his mother just took over and acted as if she was hers. My little girl always wants to go to her because she knows she gets away with everything if she smacks her she gets away with it if she wants junk and not nutritious meals she will have junk she's even given her coke on several occasions. If I tell her off in front of her she tells her aww come to nana and hugs her! I am feeling so down about it all and really struggling to bond with my little girl I've tried talking to my partner but he just says that I'm disrespecting his mum I'm not a confrontational person and I do rely on her to pick her up from childcare while I'm working so don't want to argue with her I just want to feel as though my baby is actually mine. 

Replies

• perhaps you should talk to your mother in law about this ? Your little girl and mother in law have a bond and I'm guessing because you work you dont see her much ? Its just her and her nan during most days ? Its understandable your daughter is acting this way if that is the case, she doesn't see you as much as your mother in law and looks to her as the authority figure. It doesn't help that she does that when you try to tell your daughter right from wrong but I definitely dont think your mother in law is the reason your having bonding problems with your daughter. Best of luck to you and hope you guys can sort it out xxxx