Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I don't feel like congratulations are in order yet :(

Hi everyone,

Me and my boyfriend recently conceived our first baby and I'm due in October. I'm 19 and he's 21. This was not planned at all, I was going through some issues and forgot to take my pill a couple of times, we just got caught. The thing is, I'm over the moon, I love kids and my family is really supportive so I've got the back up, I'm ready for this. My partner isn't. We wanted to wait until he had finished uni (he goes into year 2/4 in September) But having a baby now isn't part of that plan. At first we talked about termination, but I couldn't bring myself to give up the possibility of my baby. It's not that I disagree with abortion, it's just not medically necessary for me, and I know my baby will grow up having what it needs and will be surrounded by love. Anyway, he started to come around to the idea and he's pretty excited now, but he can't get over the mistrust of me not taking my pill in the first place, because we still had sex and I didn't tell him I was off the pill, or didn't get the morning after pill. Because of this mistrust I've now had to move back to my parents house to give him the space he needs. I don't want to use the term "on a break" but its like we've dialled back our relationship so that we're still in touch and best friends and love each other very much, but the added intensity of living together and being together all the time is gone. I know this is what we need if we're going to get past this but I'm having trouble getting used to it.

I feel like he wants to just be single because he feels trapped. I'm really struggling to get used to not being able to just call him and tell him about my day and