Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Feel like a single parent - partner won't pay anything towards our baby

I have a 9 month old baby and I am living with my partner (baby's father) however its like being a single parent because he does not want to help with paying for our child. I've just returned to work so I am paying child care on my own and he isn't doing anything to help relive this big bill. Our baby has also outgrown her car seat so he brought a new one and then when I got paid he has asked for the money back. I have to pay for everything myself and I can't claim any such benefits as I live with my partner/child's father. I am really struggling and he keeps saying I'm greedy and just want money out of him so I just don't bother to ask for anything. I am having to go without food all day because I am that low on cash. I just don't know what to do or who to turn to. 

Replies

• Didn't want to read and run, never been in your situation but you are in this together. You need to sit down and tell him that he created that life with you and he is just as responsible for care as you are. Does he work? Does he help you with the little one? Sounds like he has some growing up to do if he is not prepared to contribute. Sit him down and tell him how it makes you feel, and what you would like him to do to help.