Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships

NEIGHBOUR DRAMA - what should I do?

Currently I live in a semi-detached house, I have lived here for over 10 years and four weeks ago I gave birth to a baby girl. Since moving into the neighbourhood, I have noticed the neighbours are not friendly at all. A couple of years ago I had a dog which fell poorly and would bark a lot due to pain and constantly wanted to go out for the toilet, our next door neighbours reported this. We tried to talk to them about the issue but wasn't bothered about what we had to say, stating it was affecting their daughters career as a nurse. Around a week later we had to put our dog down due to the health issues.

Currently, my newborn will have a good cry and shout about being colicky. We try our best to soothe and help her with the situation and nothing really helps her currently. As well as it being extremely normal for a baby to cry. Since bring her home, I have had them banging on the wall, giving evils through windows, walking pass the window and then looking through and walking back?!

Let me add that their 30 year old son smokes weed at least three times a day, meaning I can not take my newborn into the garden for a little walk around and fresh air or open up the house to run an air flow within the warm weather.

Would anyone know what to do about this subject matter? 

Replies

• I'm really sorry you have nasty neighbours. It can make life so uncomfortable living with them. 

You know having a newborn is stressful enough - don't worry about those bloody people next door. If your baby cries, she cries. Sod them!

I might be inclined to suggest you knock on their door and have a chat with them about the baby, but not sure how well it would go down. If you think you could handle it (or ask your partner?) i'd be really passive, say something like 'as you know i've got a new baby, i'm sorry she cries a lot but that's what babies do, so please bear with me'  

If you don't feel confident doing that, pop a letter through their door saying something similar? 

• As far as I read, you live in a nasty neighborhood. I could tell you like what I would do, but the only and the best thing you can do for the baby is to move. To another place. What I mean is, neighbors who don´t tolerate baby´s crying but tolerate weed smoked by their son tells me that this is the lowest layer of humans. Try to move to another place, city, village, whatever. This is the worst possible enviroment to raise a kid. Maybe this level of brutal honesty is not welcomed here, but we all want the best for our kids, right?

• I’m in the same position. My neighbor has reported me for all sorted. My dog barking, my child making loud noises when playing. they look through my window and doors. It’s awful. I feel isolated and bullied. I’m a young single parent and I’ve had to get the police involved. This hasn’t helped and it’s getting worse.