Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Should I walk away from him

so I’m a single mother of a 4 year old and I’ve been single for a few years now. I have a good relationship with my child’s father but he now has a new family. I started dating a man over 10 month ago. it took me a long time to be persuaded to go on dates with him. I told him I had my wall very night and he promised he would break it down and prove I can be happy again. Things were amazing. We went away for weekends, spent time together when we could. Took me a long time to introduce him to my child but when I did I fell in love with him even more. He was perfect and my child built a good bond with him. To cut a long story short The past couple of weeks He’s been suffering with mental health problems! Things go so bad last week he got angery and pushed me and scared me. I broke things off and spoke to his family who are now getting him the help he needs. I’m not ready to let go as I’m deeply in love with him but I can’t be round him till he’s better. can he change or am I holding onto something that isn’t going to happen. Please help. I feel heart broken. 

Replies

• so sorry what you're going through, but the thing is, he's pushed you once, will he do it again? No one knows the answer to this and i'd hate to say to you, give him another chance and then for him to hit you - you know sometimes you have to go with your gut - what is it telling you? 

I think if you speak to any woman who has been a victim of domestic violence, they will tell you not to look back. Sorry i can't help you more.

• Thank you that means a lot. He’s promised he’s going to get help this week and promises that he will change for the better and be the man he can be. I want to believe him but I don’t know if he will stick to councilling or whatever they tell him he needs. i can only hope he does see it through and one day when he’s better he can prove it. But for now your right I can’t be around him. 

• I think your mind is made up - and i think it's the right decision - let him seek help, go on antidepressants if he needs to, and have some counselling. You also have your child to think of too, but right now, i think keeping your distance is wise. Good luck hon x

• How old is he and has he had any problems like this before? 

• He’s 30 and yeah a couple Of years ago. hes going the Doctors today to get some help. So hard because he’s a good person just struggling 

• Every situation is different but you also have your child to look out for. 

I agree with what Mrsg14 said, as having been through violence in my pregnancy it was a punch to my breast, but a punch to my breast too far.

There are so many people out there. Before I had my child I thought people deserved chances, but now I am much more wary due to my childs safety. 

Perhaps see if hes getting the help and you have his families support you then those are good steps but just stay safe. Hope it works out x

• I am so sorry to hear that, I think now is not the time to be around him for your own safety and it may be better for him to get back to his normal-self. 

See how he is following support from his family but your safety comes first!

Best wishes! x 

• He went to his first meeting on Friday and go another Friday coming. his mum and sister are brilliant and keeping me informed xx