Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Really struggling, exhausted, mental health issues and with a toddler

Not really sure where this fits to be honest. My LO is almost 2, for the last just under two years I have gotten up with him every morning which is sometimes as early as 4:45, my OH is currently studying so he's not here most days but when he is I let him sleep in, I am shattered constantly, 2 nights a week my LO stays at his grandparents. I am really struggling, I also have mental health issues which also makes parenting very difficult and some days I feel like I'm trapped, I'm just so tired all the time, and it feels like I'm barely going to get through the day, I'm getting 5-6 hours sleep and it's really starting to take a toll on me. I love being a mum and I feel so awful for feeling how I do, I don't even know why I'm posting this, I just can't keep it anymore and I feel like I already put too much on my partner with my mental healthimage

Replies

• hello lovely. 
    The exhaustion can be so tough to deal with, especially if your head is messing with you too. 
    Do you get a chance to rest when you lo sleeps at their grandparents? 
    Also, i can appreciate your partner is studying, but please try and talk to him and say at the weekends, he gets to sleep in one day, and on the other day, you would like a rest too. It's not a lot to ask.
    Please don't feel bad about the way you do, have to say in my experience feeling this way is really normal - is can be overwhleming, trying to look after everyone and get things done. x

• Hi there, i saw this post from a keyword alert randomly and felt compelled to register to send you a reply. That sounds tough. I have been in that situation. The response above is spot-on - was going to say, me and my husband have a turn at a lie-in each at the weekend. I work part-time and then off with my daughter, my OH works full time. He has a really stressful job but he knows it's hard for me as I've been struggling with anxiety and depression. Things have definitely got better but I've had some good therapy and support network.

Definitely talk to your partner about how you're feeling. I'm sure he won't want you to feel trapped like this and so unhappy. 

Can you - although I hate it personally but I'm doing it more lately as also can't control my daughter's wake-up time - go to bed earlier so you can get more sleep from that side? It is boring and not much of time to yourself but necessary for your mental health.

Also pre-school would be really good, if only for a day, and i believe a lot cheaper than nursery, to just give yourself some space. 

don't feel bad for how you feel. i've felt like that for such a long time, it is a miserable existence. most people don't talk about when they feel like that as it isn't the done thing but there are a lot of us out there!

things will get easier, i'm sure but don't be afraid to tell people how you feel, and also ask for help. I'm pretty sure there is a service where i live where volunteers will come round to help out new mums. Ask your health visitor if there is one near you xx