Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Favouritism?

Hi, 

i Will try and keep this as short as possible but looking for others opinions.

up until a few years ago, me and my mum used to be close (to what I thought). 

My sister became pregnant and the father did not want to no right from the start, so she knew she would be a single parent. Unfortunately, it wasn’t an easy pregnancy, having To atgend Hospital for blood transfusions every week and not being able to drive my mum took over from the “dads” role. my Nephew was born healthily etc so all good :) 

as my mum had become so involved in the pregnancy, it’s pretty normal, from all I know, for her to then become involved in his upbringing. We have always said her and my dad are the “2nd parent” to my nephew, which I totally understand and respect. 

However - I have friends who are single parents but they don’t have half the help from their parents. So always thought they may be a bit too involved. 

My my sister is okay - she has mental Issues, but nothing severe. Just can’t cope some dates which I understand. 

I have since had a baby son, and I have noticed he will never have the same bond with my parents as to what my nephew does. Quite expected.

however lately things have been getting to me. They babysit my nephew atleast once a week With no timescale on when he goes home. I only ask my mum to babysit if both myself and my partner are out, and this will be once every 2 months If that! But they always remind me how I have to pick him up early the next morning! Yet will have my nephew the same night and he gets to stay all day. 

We recently went on a weekend break, and I couldn’t help but notice how my dad didn’t pay ANY attention to my son, but played with my nephew the entire time. This really upset me. He usually used the excuse that he never Showed interest in my nephew when he was as young as my son, but he did!!!! So it’s always going to be the same excuse..... my nephew will always be older than my son.... and therefore my dad will always look at them like he can do more with my nephew because he’s older and more playful. 

They have my nephew everytime I rig my mum for a conversation, every time I go round etc. So I never am able to chat with my mum anymore. I’m not over exaggerating - it’s been like this for nearly a year now since my son was born! 

it makes it worse because my nephew acts like a spoilt brat, he refuses to ever speak to me or my son, and if anyone else pays my son attention or speaks to me he shouts at them to shut up! And my family kind of do what he tells them to do. He tells me to “get out” and “go away” if I ever pop round my mums. But they just find it funny. after dealing with this over a year I feel So upset because my nephew hates me, and as much as I love him, I’m starting to dislike him! 

my Parents said they would babysit last New Years for both myself and my sister. Great!!! So me and my partner made plans. Closer to the time, my mum asked what we were doing New Years, and I said my plans, and she turned around and said she can’t have both my son and my nephew. So this meant me having to cancel my plans. because my sister is a single parent, they do everything for her and my nephew. Obviously this upset me, as I didn’t even ask them to babysit, they approached me and said they were staying in!!!! By this point I had a breakdown Boxing Day in front of all my family because how low I was starting to feel .... my nan (who was also a single parent with NO help) turned around and said I was jealous in front of everyone :( 

i just feel because my child has 2 parents, they feel they don’t have to make effort. There is so much more to this stor. But I just want someone else’s opinion .... am I being jealous?! I’ve lost a relationship with my mum, my nephew hates me, and my sister gets atleast 1 night a week off to do nothing. I may have a partner here but I don’t relax when my child is in the house! I was extremely ill after giving birth.... no one helped us. But my sister was fine.... and within a week of giving birth she had already had nights to relax as my mum and dad helped !!! 

I don’t want anymore help.... I just want them to realise she isnt the only single parent in the world and it doesn’t mean my son gets ignored because he has 2 parents... that’s not fair!! 

Its all kicked off again today and I’ve had enough! But before I do turn my back on my family... I need to know it’s jusitifed. I have tried to speak to them and I get called jealous by texts from my dad and mum. So they just don’t wanna listen to me.