Forum home Family life & relationships Relationships
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Mother in law issues

Hello Ladies.. this is my first time at doing one of these so feeling a bit strange! To cut a long story short I’ve always had a good relationship with my MIL she was so excited when I got pregnant and she spoke about lots of baby stuff and it was fine but since my daughter was born I’ve noticed that she is not maternal at all! My father in law is definitely the maternal one out of both of them! She makes me nervous because she acts likes shes capable of being around my girl who is now 15 months but I can see she is un easy plus my daughter doesn’t show that much interest in her because she obviously senses something! However she thinks she’s maternal and probably thinks she’s the best nan but she isn’t! Now she wants to start taking my daughter out and I’m so nervous because she doesn’t know anything!!! She’s posts photos of social media of my daughter as if they have the best relationship but they don’t!! If anyone fancies a chat about this I would be very greatful. Thank you 

Replies

• Hi! i totally understand how hard it can be to leave your baby with someone eapecially when you feel they may not cope. i dont have a mother in law and my mum lives in america so i cant say i know how you feel in respect to that but i do have other family members that like to get involved/

i think its really Positive that your mother in law wants to take your daughter out. Although hour daughter is not interested now she made be able to build that relationship as she gets older. My suggestion would be to let your mother in law try but keep it reatricted. As id you dont let your mother in law try she will never get any better!

is there maybe a toddler group that you could attend and ask grandma to take your daughter now and again? maybe say oh ive got a hair appointment (or insert other excuse here) i will miss the start of toddler group on wednesday would you like to take her and i will meet uou there? This way it limits the tome and she is in a supervised environment. You can probide her with your baby bag all prepared too.

alternitiviely tell mother in law that you are not keen on leaving your little one for long at the moment but it would be lovely if she took her for an hour. That way she has the chance to bond with your daughter. Plus at least you know in an emergency your mother in law has had some practice

if for any reason it makes you feel very uncomfortable just say no. Its perfectly reasonable to not want to leave your child with anyone at such a young age. Im always available to chat if you want to pm